Weird breathing

LightedPrism

Songster
Nov 13, 2020
Cottonwood CA
most of the things i have seen don't look the exact same.

All but the 1 chicken are my faverolles, the one is a orphington.
All came from meyers hatchery and are 5 months old.
no wheezing, discharge, or other noises
when I look in their beak / throat I don't see anything
All the chickens are doing it in one form or another, and have been doing it for some time.

I thought it was a respitory thing as well, they were inside and the brooder didn't have the best air flow, so I changed the inside to just a pen meaning 100% air flow and they are outside during the day. they still do it.

I thought it might be gapeworm so I treated our one orphington who was in a 100% wire cage with ton of air flow so I knew she wasn't a respitory case, she was also by herself and cage cleaned daily so potential for recontamination was extremely low. I treated her with ivermectin and nothing changed.

so, a few video's of my boy doing it. please ignore any noise / sound from my daughter and I.

video 1 out of 3
video 2 out of 3
video 3 out of 3

Has the coop he’s from clean? If so, when’s the last time the coop was cleaned? Mold buildup and ammonia can cause respiratory distress which can cause this. If you are holding him, they can breathe open-mouth like that due to not being able to fill all their air sacs properly. Does he breathe like that when you’re not holding him? I’ve heard that heart issues such as congestive heart failure or heart disease cause breathing like this. Sour crop or a crop impaction can also cause the symptoms. Open his beak and look in his mouth for any yellow stuff in his mouth.

Has the coop he’s from clean? If so, when’s the last time the coop was cleaned? Mold buildup and ammonia can cause respiratory distress which can cause this. If you are holding him, they can breathe open-mouth like that due to not being able to fill all their air sacs properly. Does he breathe like that when you’re not holding him? I’ve heard that heart issues such as congestive heart failure or heart disease cause breathing like this. Sour crop or a crop impaction can also cause the symptoms. Open his beak and look in his mouth for any yellow stuff in his mouth.
During the day hes outside on dirt and stuff to forage. Their inside coop is cleaned once a week. I can up it and see if that works.

yes they all breath rqndomly like that even if they are not being help.
i feel their crop dqily as we take them outside, none seem hard or commonly huge as if a particular impaction.

ill look for yellow stuff, like just weird foodish yellow stuff or what texture wise / appearance wise?

During the day hes outside on dirt and stuff to forage. Their inside coop is cleaned once a week. I can up it and see if that works.

yes they all breath rqndomly like that even if they are not being help.
i feel their crop dqily as we take them outside, none seem hard or commonly huge as if a particular impaction.

ill look for yellow stuff, like just weird foodish yellow stuff or what texture wise / appearance wise?
Appearance wise. Similar to this Google image.

Attachments

• 781EBEA1-E7AD-46D9-A544-9C030CF0DF2B.jpeg
    781EBEA1-E7AD-46D9-A544-9C030CF0DF2B.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 3
As long as they are eating, drinking, and otherwise acting like a chicken should...I wouldnt worry about it. I've had Salmon Faverolles from Meyer hatchery and like most birds, warm/hot temps can cause gaping depending on the breed.

As long as they are eating, drinking, and otherwise acting like a chicken should...I wouldnt worry about it. I've had Salmon Faverolles from Meyer hatchery and like most birds, warm/hot temps can cause gaping depending on the breed.

yeah they definitally are acting like (what i would assume) normal chickens. Eating a ridiculous amount, goes bonkers when they get to go outside. would mid / low 70's be considered hot for them? I thought not but just wanted to double check.

Back
Top Bottom