1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird bubble thing on chicks neck.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirlroots, Mar 17, 2015.

1. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I have a 2 day old chick we hatched with a problem that I don't know how best to treat. I noticed today one side of its neck/ chest is quite swollen and seems mush filled. The skin there is greenish yellow. The other side of its neck is normal. This does NOT look like a normal crop at all, and I'm not even sure it is the crop due to position. The chick is behaving normally. I'd like to treat if possible and not be told to automatically cull. Welcoming suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    If the chick is behaving normally, I wouldn't cull it. I would just keep an eye on it and it's weird little bump. Chances are it will either get better on it's own, or get worse and mother nature may do the culling for you if it is a birth defect that compromises the chicks viability. That's what I'd do anyway. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    To me it looks like maybe something pecked it. Here is a picture with arrows at what I think could be peck marks:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. Laney3535

Laney3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Oregon
    What ever happened with this chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by