Weird bump on my hen's comb, she's getting worse by day! EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED! PLEASE!

Gods farm red hen resized.jpg

Greetings Yanafox, I am so very sorry to hear that your hen has passed on.

God Bless and peace to you. :hugs

Hello dear BYC family!

A heart-felt thank you to all of you for support and kind words!!! (I'd hug you all if I could:hugs)
I am sorry for not posting much these days... My other chicken died two days after Amber, so I've been quite destroyed and trying to pull myself together a bit. Daisy passed away very quickly and peacefully in my arms that morning.

I couldn't bring myself to do an autopsy on Amber... I tried to decide otherwise, but you are very right, Eggcessive - it is very hard to do on a pet... I am sorry that I cannot give you more info as to what it was... I know it'd provide a lot more facts, which is great for learning...But I just couldn't...she has suffered enough and I just wanted her body to not be sliced or examined anymore...
Also, I figured if it really was Merek's then I wouldn't be able to do much about it afterwards with my other hens. The vaccinations work only 50% (please correct me if I am wrong). All our chickens were "supposedly" vaccinated against Marek's and some other diseases, so if it indeed was Marek's - what difference would an autopsy make. I do know that bringing other/new chickens into my flock is advised against, so I am now thinking what to do about that... I have read that Marek's virus stays in the area/dirt for quite some time... and it's better to start a new flock away from the contaminated grounds... I am wondering if it's actually possible, since virus can be simply blown over by the wind pretty much anywhere? In my case however, we live in a residential area in a house and have only one back yard, so not many options there...
I'll do some more reading about that...

Mareks is in the ground and most of the time it is brought to your birds from wild birds. If you move the coop I doubt that would stop them from being exposed, what I plan to do is order chicks in the spring vaccinated against Mareks and hope for the best. When vaccinated it doesn't prevent them from getting it but they get milder cases and don't develop the tumors. My girls were exposed months ago and I lost my rooster to Mareks two weeks ago. I love my babies and I can't imagine not having them so I just hope and pray they remain healthy. Once again I'm sorry for your loss

Mareks is in the ground and most of the time it is brought to your birds from wild birds. If you move the coop I doubt that would stop them from being exposed, what I plan to do is order chicks in the spring vaccinated against Mareks and hope for the best. When vaccinated it doesn't prevent them from getting it but they get milder cases and don't develop the tumors. My girls were exposed months ago and I lost my rooster to Mareks two weeks ago. I love my babies and I can't imagine not having them so I just hope and pray they remain healthy. Once again I'm sorry for your loss

I'm so very sorry for your loss too!!! :-((((( Like you, I dearly love them and cannot imagine my yard without them. And like you I also hope and pray that they are healthy for as long as possible. But caring for them the best we are able to and loving them is all we can do really, as it's simply impossible to prevent every single illness or create a completely disease-proof environment.

Interesting information about Mareks, I appreciate you for sharing!:frow I guess it makes sense for the virus to be living in the ground (it can't just live in the air, after all it needs an organism of sorts, to feed of off).

hugs

The vaccinations work only 50% (please correct me if I am wrong).
Very sorry for both of your losses. :hugs

Yes, 50% is inaccurate... More like 90%+... but it is relevant to correct administration and quarantine afterwards... if procedure is not followed, any benefit (no tumors causing paralysis in birds EVEN though they are infected) goes out the door.

If you aren't breeding... getting vaccinated chicks... AND ensuring they aren't exposed to the outdoors during the vaccine set up time (or whatever it is called) is what I would suggest.

I personally won't vaccinate... Typhoid Mary chickens... not welcome at my place... let the disease kill itself out. :tongue :oops:

There was a gene identified that showed Marek's resistance... if more people get on board with breeding resistant birds... maybe it's prevalence would diminish! :fl
Interesting information about Mareks, I appreciate you for sharing!:frow I guess it makes sense for the virus to be living in the ground (it can't just live in the air, after all it needs an organism of sorts, to feed of off)
The experience has really taught me a lot about viruses verses bacteria and their differences. Wow, the confusion so many people have... Who knew keeping chickens would be like going to college, but better. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom