Weird bump on my hen's comb, she's getting worse by day! EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED! PLEASE!

HensSweetHens

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
A strange bump developed on my chicken Amber 6 days ago. She stopped eating or drinking. Cannot walk or balance herself when she stands. Poop is very green and liquid. Has fever all the time - over 110 F. She's been on Tylan 50 for 4 days. Today she isn't opening her eyes and is very weak.
Please please someone help my girl! I am clueless and desperate!

I posted more details about her illness here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...other-lessions-desperately-need-help.1267302/
IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

Dry Fowl pox? I would have expected other lesions to develop though.

Has fever all the time - over 110 F. She's been on Tylan 50 for 4 days.
I would expect to see SOME improvement if the Tylan were working by now. Unfortunately worming an already ill bird can push them over the edge.

Quit poking the bump. Puss doesn't need to be drained. And that almost doesn't look like the source of infection. Problem with antibiotics is it kills good bacteria also. I would consider supplementing (or keep) with some form of probiotics. I might also use poultry nutri drench in the water or directly to the beak. And continue with the egg.

So aspirin isn't breaking the fever?

I didn't catch how old your gal is. Or when was the last time you saw eggs from her.

I slightly suspect Marek's... are you able to post a video.

Seems like it could be a possible perfect storm of some things. :hmm

See f this symptom checker tool is helpful to you at all... you put in symptoms and it tells you possible causes...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Wish I could be more help. Hope she starts to feel better, hang in there. :fl

Greetings Yanafox,

It would be good if you could have taken the chicken to see a vet, as, they could have tested for the exact bacteria causing the infection. That is, if it is a bacteria. A viral infection can also be a possibility. But, I agree with EggSighted4Life, "Seems like it could be a possible perfect storm of some things."

In my opinion, if we follow the history of symptoms, the bump was the first symptom noticed. It appears to be a puncture wound, and bacteria was introduced at that point. Pecking wounds on the comb is common in chickens. And usually heal up quickly. But, it seems that a resistant strain of bacteria was probably introduced. This still should have healed with the Tylan. But, the hen's immune system was overburdened, with the heavy roundworm load.

Her high temperature will kill her, or if she survives, can cause brain damage. It's good that you gave the aspirin. Aspirin can cause intestinal bleeding, so, it needs to be followed with food. You may also have to put her in a tub of cool water, to break the fever. Her body is trying to kill the infection with the fever, but, it may kill her instead.

If she were my hen, and I couldn't take her to see a vet, I would do the following.

• Switch antibiotic to Baytril IM injection, once a day. Or, Doxycycline tablets, 50 mg. a day.
  • Administer, 2 drops of Colloidal Silver, 20-30 ppm strength, in the mouth, once a day.
  • Syringe feed the hen, with a Hemp Protein Powder meal replacement, 40 mL a day. Hopefully, you know how to do this. Or, even tube feed is good.
  • Give a dose of full strength Electrolytes, once per day, and electrolytes in waterer too.
  • Vitamin dose twice a day, for three days. Due to the worms and aspirin therapy, Iron is also needed. I prefer Pet-Tinic.
  • Slather the bump/injury with Neosporin ointment (without pain reliever) , three times a day.
  • Keep the hen in a hospital crate, 75-80 degrees.
  • Keep the hen's vent clean.
As EggSighted4Life, also said, it is not good to worm a sick chicken. It very well could push her over the edge. If you supplement with vitamins and make sure she is getting enough nourishment, she will have a better chance to recover. And this will compensate for the nutrients that the worms are taking. Then, as soon as she is recovered you can worm her.

If she starts eating on her own, offer her wet mash daily, and soft food diet. Foods like: cooked egg, diced cooked meats, cooked brown rice, diced fruit, cooked diced vegies, chopped greens. All in small amounts.

So, these are my thoughts on your hen's illness. I hope I have been helpful.
Other members will offer advice, please consider them too.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

EggSighted4Life, I so appreciate your reply!!!! Thank you!!!
I agree I am done poking the bump...:-((( just wanted to help somehow... Amber is about 5 and a half yrs old (not sure exactly, because we took her in from a person who couldn't have chickens any longer).

The thermometer I've been using has been going up to 109.9F and then would show "H" and then in a few second's beeps. Just measured her temperature - it's a bit lower now - 109.3 F. Maybe giving aspirin and Tylan 50 this morning helped, or perhaps the harshness of the dewormer lessened.
I did not know that worming an ill bird can push her over the edge. I will definitely keep that in mind. I am going to post a video today, that's a great idea!

Hen Pen Jem, greatly appreciate your post!!! Words can't say!
I will follow your advice you guys have given and also give her more food! I'll be back with some more details in a bit!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you, everyone!!!

Last edited:
BUT I do live in brown recluse territory and it does look a little like a recluse bite.
With all the travel that takes place these days... territories are expanding. :barnie

That temp doesn't sound as high to me as it SEEMS...

According to at least one source...
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...is-regular-chicken-body-temperature-H318.aspx

Q: What is regular chicken body temperature?

A:
Chickens have a much higher body temperature than humans do. Normal chicken body temperature ranges from about 105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. Just as with humans, it can vary a little depending on time of day, wither the chicken is stressed, or whether she's eaten recently.

:fl

She has eaten greens with much gusto! But I had to feed her eggs with vitamins and yogurt.
About to go get alternative antibiotics and full strength Electrolytes (I think it's in a form of paste, right?). Baytril is hard to find (that what I read everywhere), but found this online source from 2015 posted by Casportpony: https://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php

Do you think it's ok to get/administer? I will get any other broad spectrum antibiotic, that has been mentioned. I think I'll start with penicillin injectable. (I became pretty good on feeding full meals to sick chickens by dropper and by a tube over the years, not sure yet how to do injections... I think it's into the chest, or back of the neck at the base...I'll double check.)

I know nothing about chicken diseases. I'll admit it, I've only had chickens since March, BUT I do live in brown recluse territory and it does look a little like a recluse bite... keep us updated!!

I think I did see those around in our yard. Our chickens are free ranging, but protected by all kinds of nets above and hard cloth where needed. Oh, now that insects were mentioned, I did see a mosquito flying around her comb - a day or two prior she became lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom