Weird bumpy eggshells?

I free feed purina game bird starter to the adult turkeys (30% protein) with -maybe- 1/4 mix of homegrown corn/ soy free layer (18%) to cut the protein a tick.
They have free access to grit and oyster shell, and I also add niacin (crushed tablets) to everyone’s feed. They always have free access to fresh water.
I don’t really offer treats, and I haven’t been able to free range them since separating into breeding groups - because the boys just seek out the other guys and they all want to fight 🤦‍♀️
I’m working on a turkey tractor for my bachelors and then grow outs, but it’s not finished yet.
So they have secure coops at night, and runs that keep everyone separated. But their runs have been stripped of any vegetation after a summer of being in them.
And no, I can’t “flake” off those bumps w a fingernail. They are a part of the shell...
It's probably just what they eat that is causing it to happen. I was asking to see how thick and strong they are on the shell.

It may be excess vitamin D; this is what Damerow says in The Chicken Health Handbook page 29 (esp. last para here):
Damerow on vit D.PNG

I asked my vet about this and she said it could be too much calcium, but could also be caused by viral or bacterial infection. If the other girls start doing this it may be cause for concern even if it’s nutritional. Mine only happened for a few Times so not worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom