Weird chicken- now gunky eyes

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
Help me out here? We have this Ameracauna (true Ameracauna) from a breeder. We had four eggs hatch. Three are normal chickens but one has always been off. She drinks a TON of water so has always had really watery movements. She eats fine but just guzzles water. Reminds me of what a diabetic chicken would be like. She’s an adult now and still does this but now she’s acting off. Sleeping a lot. Not drinking as much. She’s still eating but not like she used to. Today I noticed she had some white phlegm in her one eye so she’s been separated. What do I give her for this cold or whatever she has and WHY does she drink so much? She also doesn’t squawk like a chicken. She sounds exactly like a crow talking.

It sounds like she may have a respiratory disease which can cause gunk in an eye and a sinus infection. Of course, a peck wound or eye infection may also cause the gunk in the eye, so look for any sneezing, rattly breathing, or gasping.

The only disease I have read about that causes excessive drinking is aspergillosis, a mold infection. Many times it can occur in only one chicken in the coop, and usually cannot be diagnosed without a necropsy after death.

Respiratory diseases can occur in pairs, one as a secondary infection.There are certain viruses, such as Mareks disease and leukosis, that can cause a lack of immunity to common diseases.

For her eye infection, I would try to clean it out with a QTip and saline, and apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. Terramycin ointment from your feed store is good, or in a pinch, I have used Neosporin.

If you lose her, I would get a necropsy to see what might have been going on.

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. I don’t believe it’s an eye infection as her eating and drinking have gone downhill. She is also sleeping a lot and seems weak. What would I give her for a respiratory infection?

It is important to offer fluids and wet chicken feed, some cooked egg or tuna. When I have a sick one, I offer a small bowl of chicken feed and make it watery and thick, and add some plain yogurt or cottage cheese, egg, and I do that 2-3 times a day. Offer water as often as possible.

About the only antibiotic available in feed stores is Tylan 50 injectabale, which I would give orally. 3 ml syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles are needed to get the medicine out of the vial. Remove the needle and give it orally. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days.

Many people use Vet rx an herbal oil that can be applied around the face.

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. I don’t believe it’s an eye infection as her eating and drinking have gone downhill. She is also sleeping a lot and seems weak. What would I give her for a respiratory infection?
im sorry I don't know anything about your hens symtoms but I had noticed your profile picture and it is the cutiest picture.

I recommend that you start her on Corid for coccidiosis immediately. Feed her plain boiled white rice mixed in buttermilk for a few days. The buttermilk will coat intestinal lining preventing further cocci damage and will help build up her immune system, along with the cooked rice it will slow or stop the diarrhea.
Once she recovers and still shows eye issues or other respiratory disease symptoms, follow Eggcessive's treatment advice.

Back
Top Bottom