Weird Coloring on roosters comb and waddles!

My coop is in my barn which means it is quite drafty. With temps dipping below zero I put a heat lamp out and I have one (of 4) cockerels with frostbite on his comb. I agree that is what it looks like on yours, but yours is thankfully mild. Folks on here will tell you not to touch it as it may cause more damage. You can spray Vetricyn or something similar on it though. It is hard because you think you're doing something to help keep them safe but it does the opposite. Best of luck!!

My coop is in my barn which means it is quite drafty. With temps dipping below zero I put a heat lamp out and I have one (of 4) cockerels with frostbite on his comb. I agree that is what it looks like on yours, but yours is thankfully mild. Folks on here will tell you not to touch it as it may cause more damage. You can spray Vetricyn or something similar on it though. It is hard because you think you're doing something to help keep them safe but it does the opposite. Best of luck!!
Thanks for the information!

You should decomb him and cut off his wattles too. it will be better for him in the long run, if you live where it gets really cold.

Mine come out all winter even at -30, if its sunny they’re quite happy. If it’s windy I don’t let them out below -20. Only Roo has frostbite, now he has a comb that looks like a tablespoon instead of all pointy lol....leave his dangly bits alone they’ll manage just fine

Back
Top Bottom