Weird Duck Behavior!

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Alright so I went outside to feed my ducks and I dropped my glove. The ducks started to play with it and stick their bills in it and carry it around with them, but when one started carrying it around he did the weirdest thing. He got really low to the floor and was dragging his rear across the ground and shaking it from side to side. He also kept his neck extended very far in front of him and very low to the ground. So it was almost like he was lying down with his neck extended and his rear going from side to side. While he was doing this my other ducks were trying to get on top of him. What does this all mean?!?

It sounds like a girl duck making herself available for a boy duck. I have seen some ducks stretch out & lie flatter on the ground or in the pool & make a soft and inviting clucking noise, letting the boys know they're interested.

Last edited:
Yep sounds like Love is in the air.
smile.png

Alright so I went outside to feed my ducks and I dropped my glove. The ducks started to play with it and stick their bills in it and carry it around with them, but when one started carrying it around he did the weirdest thing. He got really low to the floor and was dragging his rear across the ground and shaking it from side to side. He also kept his neck extended very far in front of him and very low to the ground. So it was almost like he was lying down with his neck extended and his rear going from side to side. While he was doing this my other ducks were trying to get on top of him. What does this all mean?!?
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I think sometimes my ducks run low to the ground when they've gotten excited, with their head stretched out. Maybe he got excited by the new glove? And my ducks "wag" their tails often, possibly also when they're doing their excited run. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for all the quick responses:) I really want to figure this out before next week because I ordered some male ducklings thinking i had all males and i want time to cancel the order if it turns out he is actually a girl. So the thing is he sounds just like all my other drakes when he makes sounds but he is a cayuga and i read that cayuga girls rarely make the loud quack that distinguishes them as female. And he doesnt have a curled tail feather even though he is the same age as all my other drakes and they have their curled tail feathers. And he wasnt wagging his tail he was shaking is whole rear end. It was pretty funny to watch actually. He also was not running he was almost crawling very slowly.

They are funny critters. In a study ducks made people laugh more than all other animals. I have seen ducks put their head down low and *charge like a bull* when they were trying to show dominant behavior towards newcomer duck flocks. When mine get excited, they fly-run or fly a bit vertically & then fly-run a bit.

Last edited:
I am just very confused with all the signs i have been getting from this duck. He was not running though he was crawling very slowly. Any kind of feed back would be greatly appreciated as to if you think he is a boy or a girl. I need to know so i can cancel that order or leave it. Thanks:)

My dog (who died) used to sometimes wipe his butt on the ground. Does he have any *digestive* issues?

Back
Top Bottom