Weird egg??

GingerGremlin

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
I literally just found this in my chicken run in a pile of poop next to my Easter Eggers, what is it??? I've seen jelly eggs before and fairy eggs and I know what a lash egg is (never had one thankfully) but what is this thing??? It looks like an egg yolk but it was almost rubbery? I'm like 80% sure the hen who laid it is the one kind of in the picture and she's laid a couple fairy eggs recently and one jelly egg but she laid normally in between those.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum I had no idea where to put this.

Attachments

• 20240522_153801.jpg
    20240522_153801.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240522_153938.jpg
    20240522_153938.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 5
It looks like she just let out the yolk. I would recommend giving them some more calcium, maybe she did not have enough calcium to produce the egg shell.

I have never had an egg like this, so I am no expert, but that would be my recommendation.

Can you stomach cutting it open?
I tried getting it open with a stick but didn't get anywhere, it felt like pushing on a rubber ball... I already threw it away I wish I had tried harder to get it open now though although I'm not convinced I would have been able to stomach it.

It looks like she just let out the yolk. I would recommend giving them some more calcium, maybe she did not have enough calcium to produce the egg shell.

I have never had an egg like this, so I am no expert, but that would be my recommendation.
That's what I am thinking as well but I've never seen or heard of that so I had to ask for another opinion. They have constant access to oyster shell in the run, is there any other way you try to get calcium in? I've given them their egg shells back before but I'm not consistent with it.

You may want to give human calcium citrate with vitamin D 300-600 mg daily into her beak for a week to see if her eggs become normal. She could be suffering from calcium deficiency or salpingitis.

You may want to give human calcium citrate with vitamin D 300-600 mg daily into her beak for a week to see if her eggs become normal. She could be suffering from calcium deficiency or salpingitis.
That's not a bad idea, I'll get my hands on some. Is there a brand or type you would recommend over others? Like liquid or chewables?

Back
Top Bottom