Weird Egg

ChickMagnet09

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
Minnesota
I found a weird egg this morning in my coop, and they are just starting to lay so I don't know if it is normal. The egg was really thin like paper and had ripped before I got to it and when I picked it up it had like a cord or something connected to the egg. Has anyone ever seen this before?

I've not seen anything like what you describe. However, weird eggs are not surprising in new layers.
Are you offering them oyster shell to harden those eggshells up?
Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

I have been giving them oyster shells! They just started laying this week so I am thinking it may take a while before the eggs get harder. I just hope more start laying, I have 8 chickens and I think one may be a rooster but he/she doesn't crow but is bigger than the others and has a bigger comb than the others too...but I was so excited to find an egg even if it was weird looking!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

"Chick"Magnet09 :

I have been giving them oyster shells! They just started laying this week so I am thinking it may take a while before the eggs get harder. I just hope more start laying, I have 8 chickens and I think one may be a rooster but he/she doesn't crow but is bigger than the others and has a bigger comb than the others too...but I was so excited to find an egg even if it was weird looking!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Yeah first egg!! Post a pic of your maybe roo and we'll see if we can help you figure it out. What breed(s) do you have?

welcome-byc.gif

Yeah, don't worry, you get them occasionally, sometimes as first eggs, nearly first eggs, (first week or so) and even more mature hens after some upset such as new coop or move or attack etc etc.

I have 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, 2 Gold Star, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Bantaams (both feather footed, 1 silkie). How do you post a pic? I can't even figure out how to get a display pic?!

"Chick"Magnet09 :

I have 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, 2 Gold Star, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Bantaams (both feather footed, 1 silkie). How do you post a pic? I can't even figure out how to get a display pic?!

welcome-byc.gif
from Wisconsin.

To post a pic. First save your pic on your computer where you can find it. Then go to the top of this page and click uploads. Hit browse and find your pic on your computer. Double click. Summit. Then you need to go to MY UPLOADS on that page. Highlight the one you want and "copy" it. Come back to this page and "paste". Hope that helps.​

I have yet to have a soft egg. My first batch of chickens I knew nothing about raising them. I fed them scraps of all kinds and never handed out oystershell or grit and they stayed in the coop most of the time after they where attacked by neighbor dogs. Only let out when one of us was outside.
I've had some thick eggs when they first started laying. Double yolkers and just plain ol big eggs but so far never a soft egg. Been raising chickens for 4 years now.

"Chick"Magnet09 :

Look here for info about posting pics etc... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504 ...that usually helps, there's lots of other info in the Forum Information and FAQs section... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198

As
to what you say emvickrey about never having a soft shell etc, I understand, it's very much an odd thing, but when it happens, it can be a little freaky if you've never seen one. Although, since they're quite fragile, it's possible for them to get destroyed without a trace so you'd never even know it was ever there. Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom