Weird eggs, listless hen

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Chipmunk has been acting weird for a week now. First she started skipping laying days after being quite reliable.

Then I got a soft shelled egg, then nothing, today she layed nothing more than a yolk wrapped in a membrane.

40200_p1030541.jpg

She's been standing around with her eyes closed for the majority of time for about 4 days now. Ever since the soft shelled egg.

She eats, drinks, forages, most enthusiastic at treat time, still chases the other ones off. Then nothing, she doesn't do much. The yolk thing she was standing over in the open, she didn't even put it in a nest. I approached her to check on her, normally she runs since she hates me, but she only took a couple of steps.

She's not breathing weird, doesn't have a runny nose or watery eyes or discharge... just "tired" all the time and laying weirdly. I grabbed her yesterday and felt her all over, checked her vent, everything appeared fine.

Any ideas?

Everyone else is laying perfect eggs on schedual, they get an awesome diet, I can't figure it out! She's only 2 years old, bantam D'Anver hen.

Obviously she has something wrong with her egg laying machinery....

I'd separate her, give her vitamins and electrolytes and give her more protein, then watch and wait.

Is she going into a molt? Does she have free access to oyster shell? Is she eating? Does she feel like she weigh's as much as she should?
I would put her in a dog crate in your coop so you can moniter her food intake. Maybe get some avian charge for her water too.
Best of luck,
B

She's still pigging out. Yesterday when I grabbed her the crop was full. This morning after breakfast not as full but still "impressive" for her current behavior. Drinking normal.

Oyster shell is mixed into the feed, they weren't touching it when I had it seperate.

She feels normal when I palpated her.

Not molting, or showing signs. Normal weight, same feel to the breastbone area she's always had.

So seperate her, watch her, add some goodies to the water for now?

Back
Top Bottom