weird eggs, molting or sick???

I'm not sure what to think on this. If the oyster shell helped a bit, I would think that calcium absorption is the most likely culprit. I also believe Phosphorous/Magnesium plays in the equation, too, but I've been looking in my reference materials and I'm not being able to put my hands on anything yet...I'll keep looking!

In the meantime, does she have any signs or symptoms of anything amiss as far as a possible disease or infection? Sneezing or rales, watery eyes or discharge, lethargy?

No other concerns about her health. She is looking healthy as can be. I might observe her poo some more. Hard job, in this heat I don't want to be out there. Thanks so much for your efforts to help. I do really appreciate you sticking to me and this topic!

Conny

I sympathize with your situation. I have a BO who has been laying soft eggs for a week now. Oyster shells have always been available. I did catch her sister eating one of her soft eggs... I think I have a problem.

I've laid off the treats except for calcium rich greens. I am home during the day so have been monitoring more. The hen seems fine otherwise. She is the dominant of the 2 I have. She will go sit on the egg of the other hen after she lays it. They are both +1 yr old.

Very frustrating.

Hey Nicholas, We just came back from a 4 day trip to the beach. While we were gone I couldn't treat neither my broody nor my poor layer. The broody seemed to be outside and not sitting in the nest all afternoon, which is a success. As for the eggs I'll have to ask my neighbor, who collected them. I'll let you know if the oyster shell did the trick. It has been about 10 days now I think......

Thanks for checking. Hey and I love your avatars
smile.png
Any new developmen on your coop???
Conny

I've been wondering, too. So frustrating, when you know you're doing everything right. It's possible this hen has a misdeveloped "egg building" mechanism or something. Just like human, sometimes we just don't have all the equipment in the working order it needs to be in. I think that's pretty uncommon for chickens, though. But, it could be. I actually have a little girl that never laid an egg. I doubt she ever will, as she just turned 44 weeks yesterday. I think she's just got something not right with her repro system, but I'm fine with that. She's a sweetheart, and she gets to stay, regardless of egg laying status.

chickenray - you have a SERIOUS issue if you've noticed egg eaters. You CAN stop this behavior, as it is a learned one that becomes a habit. But takes MUCH diligence on your part. Many folks will tell you to get rid of the one eating, but trust me, as I've been there - if one is eating, there are more. Search on here to find info. on how to break the habit. If you can't find any good threads, PM me and I'll try to find a couple that I posted in.

Yes, a little! I too have been out of town so we haven't moved it to it's new location yet, and that's where we'll finsish up the doors and add the run.

56934_falala.jpg

56934_falalalalalaalal3.jpg

and painting is almost done!
big_smile.png
thanks. and congrats-- look at your profile. you're "just hatched!"

So here is a new symptom that might not have anything to do with all of the above. The broody shakes her head as if getting something off of it. She doesn't use her feet to scratch and I can't see any parasites. When I noticed it a couple of weeks ago I didn't think anything of it. But now that I am analysing everything I wonder. She doesn't do it aaaaalll the time but when she does she won't stop for a while. There is one other who has been doing the shake as well. Any idea what is going on there?

As for the SOFT eggs, there was an 'egg poop' under the roost yesterday and today she just now got into the nest box to lay. Let's see what the outcome is - literally.

Conny

34685_dsc_6993.jpg

If you read my last post you'll know that the soft shell layer was trying to lay her egg and I was waiting for the outcome. About an hour later she was back out of the nest but there was no egg. Instead she stood outside all droopy and 'sad' (no kidding) letting her wings hang. I could walk right up to her and pick her up. She didn't show interest in her dinner scraps I brought out. Strange. So when I inspected her I found these frayed tail feathers. What do you make of this?

An update on the broody. She seems to be done sitting in the nest all the time. She just laid her first egg in a week (small). GEEEEE I had to go to the store and buy eggs yesterday! What the heck!?

Wynette, what is your thought on the feathers? They look like pieces where cut off or even ripped out in spots. Pecking? But she is the new leader in the group. There are no lice. Gosh I should put a camera out there.

Update: I am editing this post to let you know that there was yet another softshelled egg in the coop today. That's a long time of oystershell and yogurt. Does she have to get in the pot?

Last edited:
The... the pot? AAH! NO! THE POOR BABY!! Take her to the vet--- And maybe the others that are acting strange. They should know. But is the one with the strange feather colors the broody one? That's not a good sign....

Vet should know.

Back
Top Bottom