Weird eggs . . . with nipples!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmktdox, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all,

I live just outside of Ottawa Canada and I have three barred rocks and two production reds. I raised the BR's from chick's last year (they will be a year old in May) and the two reds I purchased from another chicken lover, they are about 14months old now. All have been laying well up to now. Last few days I've had two weird eggs. I think they're both from the same hen. The shell at the narrow end is not smooth, it's lumpy and layered, but it's sealed and the inside is fine. I should mention I'm battling shaft lice but think I have them licked. I've been dusting the birds with sevin and using DE under the bedding, on roosts, in nesting boxes etc. One of the reds has a worse case than the others, she's lost some feathers, looks a bit mangy but isn't freezing from massive feather loss. I don't think the funny eggs are from lice, I think she's missing something in her diet . . . they're on a balanced laying mash. Maybe they need some extra oyster shells? I've attached two pics. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. mmktdox

Anybody out there??!!!
  3. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    I really dont know what that is........ It could be extra shell! I am sorry I cant really help there.
  4. mmktdox

All eggs looked normal today, guess it was just a fluky thing? Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by