Weird goose behavior... advice?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I put Mr. goose in with our new Mrs. goose, just so they could say 'hi'... they instantly twisted their necks around each other, and started rooting between the wings of the other goose with their beaks.. I thought "Oh, this looks friendly!"... then it got more and more intense, with them circling while still buried in the other's back, necks still crossed.. then it seemed like they were both trying to step on the other goose, and then they started hissing and pulling feathers out of the backs, with their wings out... it was only like 1 minute, then I had to bust in and break it up... I just wasn't sure where it was going, but it didn't look comfortable. I put Mr. Goose out of the pen, and left mrs. goose in... mr goose ran off to the pond, and did his triumphant dance/honk... what does that all mean?

chickensducks&agoose :

Please? I need to know if it was REALLY GOOD, or REALLY BAD... I'm sure it was one or the other...

Are you sure you don't have two ganders? sounded to me like a classic fight to be top goose​

well, it laid an egg the day before we got it... so I'm thinking female, but she outweighs mr. goose by at least 7 pounds... so I think she's going to win... does that mean that she'll mate him? and my lady ducks too? Should I let them have it out?

Until you see an egg don't be too positive on gender. On the bright side when we had a large flock of geese several years ago we had an absolutely HUGE "Ms Goose". She rulled all the ganders. They could be rough with the other gals all they wanted but when it came to her they had to do alot of courting cause if she took it the wrong way they left with fewer feathers and sometimes a bit of blood. Was not pretty.

Let them have some time to get used to each other in a safe manner and maybe during that time she will lay an egg for you so you know for sure.

I have not seen an egg... but the guy I got the goose from is the brother of my good friend, and I said I didn't care what gender it was, I'd take it either way, so I don't THINK he'd lie about an egg... but really, you never know... I'll take things slow... is there any way to rig the power struggle? help Mr. goose be number 1?

Back
Top Bottom