Weird goose behavior... advice?

My ganders fight like that all the time during the spring. Sometimes it is over a female and sometimes just because they "feel" like it (I swear!) Let them have it out--thye dont ever seem to get as nasty as roos do--Meaning I dont ever see any blood! I think the longer you dance around the subject the longer it will be until they straighten it out and decide who will be the boss. They have to do the deciding...we cant control that. Terri O

chickensducks&agoose :

well, it laid an egg the day before we got it... so I'm thinking female, but she outweighs mr. goose by at least 7 pounds... so I think she's going to win... does that mean that she'll mate him? and my lady ducks too? Should I let them have it out?

Well it is not impossible that you have a pair. I have had times when the goose, goose pecked the gander and ended up Boss Goose, usually she gives up the title while she is brooding and tries to reclaim the office when the family is half grown and don't require her attention. If there is only one gander she will mate him when She wants to. If there is more than one she will pick and choose.​

Not really. They'll figure it out on their own, and even if Mrs Goose becomes dominant, it wouldn't be unheard of in male/female relationships
big_smile.png
. They'll still feel the urge to merge come the breeding season.

Give them some time where they can see each other and be separated by chicken wire. They'll naturally get used to one another, and then you can try to let them out together in a neutral place.

Geese don't like strangers, and these geese are strangers. They'll need some time, that's all
smile.png

thanks kim, I'm hoping they'll be good friends at least. Sourland, I'm new to inter-goose relations, so yeah, these posts are real. If the female insists on hopping on top of my male, I can't imagine I'm going to get goslings that way... but kim says they'll figure it out... so I'm hoping!

Just because she's the boss does not mean she will insist on being "on top" during intercourse. It just means he will have to do a lot of courting and get her approval, rather than just her submission, before he's able to do his thing. With animals, position during the act is a matter of function not of feelings, emotions and social status.
wink.png

well, I gave them another 5 minutes of supervised get-to-know-you time, and the entire time Mr. Goose frantically tried to get away from Mrs. Goose. very disheartening.she wasn't aggressive really, they had a few bite-your-head moments, but mostly ignored each other. When I let mr. goose out (because I just felt sorry for him), he took off running with his wings out wide, all the way up the hill to the garden (where the ducks were) my girls, who were between Mrs Goose's temp. housing and the garden, were terrified, but I yelled to them that he was running away, not towards... well, I'll try again in a few days, but I'm really not feeling hopeful. He's taller, his neck is like 6 inches longer, but she's much wider and heavier.

I let mrs. goose out today, and she apparently is afraid of the pond... she stood on the bank and watched Mr. goose swim with the ducks. They aren't fighting, and they are keeping about 10 feet between themselves. She followed me into the garden, and then out of the garden, and then back into the garden... but doesn't seem to want to bite me a lot... my goose only comes close when he wants to bite... i think she just wants the company. I also think that the weird feathers on her chest (all broken off) are from her being in a pen, and she breaks them when she rubs up against the fence, trying to get out. The food she was eating was like bird-food food, seeds and stuff, so I doubt she's had good nutrition. poor baby. Is there any way to tell age?

Back
Top Bottom