weird goose

jbugw

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Michigan
We have 2 African geese (1 male, 1 female) and 4 American Buffs (2 males, 2 females). All born this spring and came from the same farm at the same time. They free range during the day. They share a pen with 4 ducks when they are in there. They pretty much are only in there for dinner and overnight (they have separate houses). Anyway, They all stick together when they free range. Except for Butterfly- female American Buff. She sticks to herself. Everybody else comes running out of the pen when I open the gate and stay close together. Not Butterfly. She comes out and goes straight to 1 particular flower bed and plops down. Its her spot. Everybody else wanders around and she just sits there. She has a tendency to stick closer to the ducks than the other geese. She seems calmer, less timid and more watchful than the others. She seems to be in her own world, doing her own thing. She doesn't run away from our dogs like the others. She lets random people come fairly close to her before she walks away and then she goes slowly. My husband thinks something is wrong with her. She is probably my favorite though because she is so calm. Is it weird that she acts the way she does? She definitely doesn't act like the rest of ours or the others from the farm they came from. But is it just her personality or is something a little off?

We have 2 African geese (1 male, 1 female) and 4 American Buffs (2 males, 2 females). All born this spring and came from the same farm at the same time. They free range during the day. They share a pen with 4 ducks when they are in there. They pretty much are only in there for dinner and overnight (they have separate houses). Anyway, They all stick together when they free range. Except for Butterfly- female American Buff. She sticks to herself. Everybody else comes running out of the pen when I open the gate and stay close together. Not Butterfly. She comes out and goes straight to 1 particular flower bed and plops down. Its her spot. Everybody else wanders around and she just sits there. She has a tendency to stick closer to the ducks than the other geese. She seems calmer, less timid and more watchful than the others. She seems to be in her own world, doing her own thing. She doesn't run away from our dogs like the others. She lets random people come fairly close to her before she walks away and then she goes slowly. My husband thinks something is wrong with her. She is probably my favorite though because she is so calm. Is it weird that she acts the way she does? She definitely doesn't act like the rest of ours or the others from the farm they came from. But is it just her personality or is something a little off?
I wonder if it's her eye sight? do you noticed anything different about her eyes when comparing with the other Buffs? Talking about letting people get close and doesn't run away from the dogs like the others makes me think she may not be seeing as well as the others. And it could be something neurological is she of a good weight compared to the other female and how her appetite? Buffs are considered a calmer breed but Not to the point they aren't having anything to do with their family, they pretty much stick close together. The others haven't been making her feel not wanted? Especially the ganders?

My husband thought her eyes but I don't notice a difference. I watch her too and she doesn't show any signs of not seeing well. It seems more like she lacks most self preservation. She does run away just not like the others. When I open the gate in the morning she runs right out and doesn't care that I am still right there while the others wait until I move a couple feet. But this is something she only does with me. She will wait if one of the kids or my husband is standing there. I wonder if she would show more care with the dogs if I weren't there too. The others treat her fine. They include her in the guarding of the water dishes- they try to guard all the water dishes to keep the ducks away. She is on the smaller side but she is not the smallest. She eats well. One of the first oddities we noticed was the others were all up in arms about something running around the pen and she was in her own little world eating away. She does allow the others- including the ducks chase her away. Doesn't even try to stand her ground. She is also the only one that doesn't care if the ducks are eating or drinking with her. I swear she thinks she is a duck.

Oh she does get upset if she doesn't see the others for awhile. She honks a bit until they answer and then she settles back down in her spot.

My husband thought her eyes but I don't notice a difference. I watch her too and she doesn't show any signs of not seeing well. It seems more like she lacks most self preservation. She does run away just not like the others. When I open the gate in the morning she runs right out and doesn't care that I am still right there while the others wait until I move a couple feet. But this is something she only does with me. She will wait if one of the kids or my husband is standing there. I wonder if she would show more care with the dogs if I weren't there too. The others treat her fine. They include her in the guarding of the water dishes- they try to guard all the water dishes to keep the ducks away. She is on the smaller side but she is not the smallest. She eats well. One of the first oddities we noticed was the others were all up in arms about something running around the pen and she was in her own little world eating away. She does allow the others- including the ducks chase her away. Doesn't even try to stand her ground. She is also the only one that doesn't care if the ducks are eating or drinking with her. I swear she thinks she is a duck.

She just may think she is a duck My gander was hatched and raised by a Muscovy and for over 5 yrs thought he was a duck, then I got him a goose, still took him about 5 months to see the difference. Maybe she is just one laid back goose. If it's some kind of neurological issue doesn't sound like it's something very serious if she is growing and eating and other wise acting normal, it will be interesting to see what happens when mating season starts up this next year. Keep us posted.
Oh she does get upset if she doesn't see the others for awhile. She honks a bit until they answer and then she settles back down in her spot.
Just likes to know they are around that's good.

Yeah, I like her attitude a lot. She is much more pet like. We have been wondering how matting season will go. It would be nice to have some more like her- provided thats not an issue causing or defect causing it.

Yeah, I like her attitude a lot. She is much more pet like. We have been wondering how matting season will go. It would be nice to have some more like her- provided thats not an issue causing or defect causing it.
Oh I know, wouldn't it be nice to have some gosling as laid back as her. I'd like to have a few myself, my geese are such bullies it's a good thing I love them. lol

Back
Top Bottom