Weird guinea egg... day 18

Nothing has changed. It is still alive and moving around. I think I might be off on the day since I’m not exactly sure when the guinea started sitting. It is taking up most of the egg but has still not externally pipped. Ugh I’m growing anxious wondering if it is behind or if I’m off on my dates. :fl :confused::he:th
Has it internally pipped? If not, do you think it’s in a position to pip that air cell in the narrow end?

Has it internally pipped? If not, do you think it’s in a position to pip that air cell in the narrow end?
No it has not internally pipped which is making me think that either it’s behind or that I’m off on my dates of when the guinea went broody. What do you think I should do? Wait and see what happens? It is slightly drawing down in the aircell but I’m not sure where it will pip. :confused::th:barnie

No it has not internally pipped which is making me think that either it’s behind or that I’m off on my dates of when the guinea went broody. What do you think I should do? Wait and see what happens? It is slightly drawing down in the aircell but I’m not sure where it will pip. :confused::th:barnie
I really think you should get the opinion of the people who do assisted hatchings all of the time, as I suspect that your special egg won’t hatch on its own or even with normal assistance. I’ve seen pictures of some really amazing assisted hatches. I’m going to try tagging @CluckNDoodle and see if she has suggestions for your egg or for someone else who might have a good idea of how to help.

I didn't read through all of the comments so I apologize if I ask a question you've already answered.
I read that the air cell is in pointy end and that it hasn't internally pipped yet but is it on hatch day yet or late?
Have most of the other chicks already hatched and this one is a straggler?
I ask because regardless of the actual hatch date I typically gauge whether or not to step in by how the rest of the hatch is going. If most of the chicks have already hatched and I'm down to some stragglers that aren't making good progress, I will then investigate.

I always place a sort of disclaimer when offering to walk someone through assisting that it is not for everyone and that is totally ok! Many people choose to just wait and see what happens and there's nothing wrong with that! I have also saved many more chicks than I have lost when deciding to step in.
Another thing to consider is that if this chick does require assistance to hatch and it hasn't internally pipped then it's probably going to be malpositioned due to the shape of the egg not allowing for the chick to get into the correct position for hatch with the air cell being in the pointy end. Malpositions are the most difficult assists.

I didn't read through all of the comments so I apologize if I ask a question you've already answered.
I read that the air cell is in pointy end and that it hasn't internally pipped yet but is it on hatch day yet or late?
I ask because regardless of the actual hatch date I typically gauge whether or not to step in by how the rest of the hatch is going. If most of the chicks have already hatched and I'm down to some stragglers that aren't making good progress, I will then investigate.

I always place a sort of disclaimer when offering to walk someone through assisting that it is not for everyone and that is totally ok! Many people choose to just wait and see what happens and there's nothing wrong with that! I have also saved many more chicks than I have lost when deciding to step in.
Another thing to consider is that if this chick does require assistance to hatch and it hasn't internally pipped then it's probably going to be malpositioned due to the shape of the egg not allowing for the chick to get into the correct position for hatch with the air cell being in the pointy end. Malpositions are the most difficult assists.
Great points CluckNDoodle! This is an egg of uncertain age from the nest of a guinea hen that was killed, so of special importance to FunnyfarmMidwest. They have some other eggs in the incubator but it sounds like they are from different birds and not as far along. Funny farm, how long have you been incubating this egg and how did you determine what day of incubation the egg is at?

I really think you should get the opinion of the people who do assisted hatchings all of the time, as I suspect that your special egg won’t hatch on its own or even with normal assistance. I’ve seen pictures of some really amazing assisted hatches. I’m going to try tagging @CluckNDoodle and see if she has suggestions for your egg or for someone else who might have a good idea of how to help.
Thank you. I did try making a thread under incubating and hatching but I didn’t get any responses. :fl I’m really really wanting this egg to hatch. I will try to do what’s best for it.
Great points CluckNDoodle! This is an egg of uncertain age from the nest of a guinea hen that was killed, so of special importance to FunnyfarmMidwest. They have some other eggs in the incubator but it sounds like they are from different birds and not as far along. Funny farm, how long have you been incubating this egg and how did you determine what day of incubation the egg is at?
Yes. Thanks much. I have other eggs but they are not at the same day as this one. They are mostly call ducks put in later. This egg has been in my incubator since the 20th of August. My guinea had been sitting on the eggs since about August 6 if I recall correctly. I went of of that date which waS when she Initially started sitting. I was wondering if I was wrong since I’m not sure if this egg was added afterwards since the nest was communal. I just am not sure. 🤔

Another thing to consider is that if this chick does require assistance to hatch and it hasn't internally pipped then it's probably
of the egg not allowing for the chick to get into the correct position for hatch with the air cell being in the pointy end. Malpositions are the most difficult assists.

Thank you so much for your help! I have assisted malpositioned ducklings before, but never a guinea. I have never hatched guineas before either. I’m not positive on the day yet so I’m hesitant as weather or not to assist. Any thoughts?

Thank you. I did try making a thread under incubating and hatching but I didn’t get any responses. :fl I’m really really wanting this egg to hatch. I will try to do what’s best for it.

Yes. Thanks much. I have other eggs but they are not at the same day as this one. They are mostly call ducks put in later. This egg has been in my incubator since the 20th of August. My guinea had been sitting on the eggs since about August 6 if I recall correctly. I went of of that date which waS when she Initially started sitting. I was wondering if I was wrong since I’m not sure if this egg was added afterwards since the nest was communal. I just am not sure. 🤔

Thank you so much for your help! I have assisted malpositioned ducklings before, but never a guinea. I have never hatched guineas before either. I’m not positive on the day yet so I’m hesitant as weather or not to assist. Any thoughts?

It's so hard when you're unsure of the hatch date and even harder when you don't have other chicks hatching to gauge it by but since you've hatched ducklings before that will give you an advantage on what to look for but I'll share some pictures. It's very difficult to see anything as far as the chicks position right before hatch, the membrane will draw down around the chick and take on an odd shape right before internal pip. This first image was right before the chick pipped internally, you can see where my pencil line was on day 17 and how much it changed by day 20/21 (chicken timeframe obviously, lol). The two images following that are a peachick and turkey that were internally pipped and you can see the triangle shadow where their beak came through. When a chick is malpositioned you typically won't see as deep of a draw down on the membrane. How much fluid are you still seeing around the chick where the light can still penetrate?

Day 20 Air Cell Drawing Down for Hatch.jpg
5-29-20 Internally pipped Turkey.JPG
5-10-20 Internally pipped peachick.JPG

It's so hard when you're unsure of the hatch date and even harder when you don't have other chicks hatching to gauge it by but since you've hatched ducklings before that will give you an advantage on what to look for but I'll share some pictures. It's very difficult to see anything as far as the chicks position right before hatch, the membrane will draw down around the chick and take on an odd shape right before internal pip. This first image was right before the chick pipped internally, you can see where my pencil line was on day 17 and how much it changed by day 20/21 (chicken timeframe obviously, lol). The two images following that are a peachick and turkey that were internally pipped and you can see the triangle shadow where their beak came through. When a chick is malpositioned you typically won't see as deep of a draw down on the membrane. How much fluid are you still seeing around the chick where the light can still penetrate?

View attachment 2318754View attachment 2318753View attachment 2318750
Funnyfarm posted this candling picture on Monday of this week, so 3 days ago. It looked drawn down enough that I expect that the keet needs to hatch soon, maybe very soon.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/weird-guinea-egg-day-18.1410299/post-23176778

Funnyfarm posted this candling picture on Monday of this week, so 3 days ago. It looked drawn down enough that I expect that the keet needs to hatch soon, maybe very soon.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/weird-guinea-egg-day-18.1410299/post-23176778

From the timeframe you described and from the looks of the image from 3 days ago I would say if you're going to assist then you're probably quickly approaching the necessary time to do so. I would use triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief to moisten the membrane because it lasts much longer than other things and because you don't know the exact timeframe. Since you mentioned having experience with assisting I'm assuming you already know the basics on how to open the air cell and avoid the internal membrane with the blood vessels correct?

Back
Top Bottom