Weird guinea egg... day 18

Pics

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
Hello all. I have a guinea egg that is on day 18 of incubation. The air cell is on the pointy end as opposed to the large end. It is most definitely alive and moving about. I’m 100% sure that the air cell is on the wrong end and that it is still alive. I’m concerned that come hatch day it will suffocate. Anybody seen anything like this? Any advice? This was one that was in my guinea’s nest but is now in my incubator. Sorry the pictures are terrible quality.

:eek: :confused:

Attachments

• 06FE68D9-4340-4236-B49D-72824DA17289.jpeg
    06FE68D9-4340-4236-B49D-72824DA17289.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 99E55959-6161-4897-952B-BA3E76638778.jpeg
    99E55959-6161-4897-952B-BA3E76638778.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3BD97CFA-1914-42FB-9EA1-FB3DFB6605E5.jpeg
    3BD97CFA-1914-42FB-9EA1-FB3DFB6605E5.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello all. I have a guinea egg that is on day 18 of incubation. The air cell is on the pointy end as opposed to the large end. It is most definitely alive and moving about. I’m 100% sure that the air cell is on the wrong end and that it is still alive. I’m concerned that come hatch day it will suffocate. Anybody seen anything like this? Any advice? This was one that was in my guinea’s nest but is now in my incubator. Sorry the pictures are terrible quality.

:eek: :confused:
Set the egg either on its side or pointy side down. It still has plenty of time to change and also plenty of time to quit developing too.

Set the egg either on its side or pointy side down. It still has plenty of time to change and also plenty of time to quit developing too.
Thank you much for the advice and for responding. I have the egg in my nurture right 360 so it is turning on it’s side. Is that ok? I’m hoping this one makes it because it is from my guinea that got killed. :fl

Thank you much for the advice and for responding. I have the egg in my nurture right 360 so it is turning on it’s side. Is that ok? I’m hoping this one makes it because it is from my guinea that got killed. :fl
Turning it on its side is fine. There really isn't much you can do at this stage.

Awwww! I hope your egg makes it too! Are you incubating it with other eggs?
Thanks. Yes I have a very staggered hatch going. I have 2 call ducks on day 10, 1 call duck on day 4, a couple guineas on unknown days, this one on day 18, and a couple on day 13. It’s getting stressful since I had to add in both my broody’s eggs.

I just looked at my dates and it appears that this little egg is actually on day 20. I was off a day. I’m getting so confused by all the ones I added later, don’t know what day they’re on, and the ones that are behind. This egg is one of the two that I have on day 20. I have 2 others on day 12 and the rest I have no clue. I’ve tried to mark them so I know who’s who... I even drew smiley faces on some of them... :oops: :th

I just looked at my dates and it appears that this little egg is actually on day 20. I was off a day. I’m getting so confused by all the ones I added later, don’t know what day they’re on, and the ones that are behind. This egg is one of the two that I have on day 20. I have 2 others on day 12 and the rest I have no clue. I’ve tried to mark them so I know who’s who... I even drew smiley faces on some of them... :oops: :th
I find that just using numbers is all that is required as long as you record the information along with the number. I do date all of my hatching eggs with the date collected.

I find that just using numbers is all that is required as long as you record the information along with the number. I do date all of my hatching eggs with the date collected.
That is a good strategy. It would probably help me keep track of them. This is my first staggered hatch and I was not expecting it. That is very smart. I will definitely do this next time.

Back
Top Bottom