Weird looking chicken - curious to know what it is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Aug 24, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    In the 4-H poultry barn at the fair there was a strange, unidentified chicken. Looked more like a regular bird, maybe redwing blackbird size. Even had feathers like a regular bird, not a chicken. Only thing that made it look even remotely like a chicken was a tiny little comb. I wish I could have taken a pic to show you but I am dying to know what it could be. Any ideas?

Oh - it did lay an egg - tiny bantam size off white color. So badly want to grab it and throw it in the incubator...

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your description isn't that great. Could she have been an oegb?

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Yeah, I'd think some type of game bird too.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I just did a lookup of the OEG hens and no, that's not it either. I swear it looked just like any wild bird you'd see in your backyard - crow came to mind but smaller. Had no red on its face nor did it have a "chicken" tail. Had a regular bird tail. Only thing that made it seem like a chicken was the little comb - pea comb I think you'd call it. I believe the colors of the bird were dark brown/reddish brown/black and they were smooth like a crow. I will keep searching game birds to see if I can find it. Strangest thing I'd ever seen. Too bad it wasn't labelled!

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I think I found it - sumatra hen! But I don't remember it being all black...but if you look up a sumatra hen, that is the size/shape that this bird was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by