Weird looking chicken - curious to know what it is

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
In the 4-H poultry barn at the fair there was a strange, unidentified chicken. Looked more like a regular bird, maybe redwing blackbird size. Even had feathers like a regular bird, not a chicken. Only thing that made it look even remotely like a chicken was a tiny little comb. I wish I could have taken a pic to show you but I am dying to know what it could be. Any ideas?

Oh - it did lay an egg - tiny bantam size off white color. So badly want to grab it and throw it in the incubator...

I just did a lookup of the OEG hens and no, that's not it either. I swear it looked just like any wild bird you'd see in your backyard - crow came to mind but smaller. Had no red on its face nor did it have a "chicken" tail. Had a regular bird tail. Only thing that made it seem like a chicken was the little comb - pea comb I think you'd call it. I believe the colors of the bird were dark brown/reddish brown/black and they were smooth like a crow. I will keep searching game birds to see if I can find it. Strangest thing I'd ever seen. Too bad it wasn't labelled!

I think I found it - sumatra hen! But I don't remember it being all black...but if you look up a sumatra hen, that is the size/shape that this bird was.

Back
Top Bottom