Weird looking egg without shell! Help please!

kropka

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Hello everyone who can help.
Week ago I lost White RI .She just dropped dead early morning.I have 3 left now.They seems stressed since than.
My Red RI did two eggs without shell.Today she made this weird looking sack like egg.I will try to post pictures if I only know how.The other two hens are fine.Just want to add they are 1 year old.

Thank you

CMV

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009

In light of having lost one bird suddenly and inexplicably, and now having the others showing signs of distress, I need to ask what you are feeding the birds. Are they eating a good quality layer feed and getting free choice oyster shells? If not, they need to be.

An occasional soft shelled egg is not unusual, but when they suddenly appear in quantity then there is a potential problem worthy of investigation. My first thought is that there is a serious dietary deficiency leading to this problem. My second thought is that they are under some serious stress, like their environment is not adequate in some way or they are being harassed by someone/something.

Tell us about their situation. We can probably help you figure this out.

kropka

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Thanks, they are on organic pellets and have oyster shells all the time.I stoped feeding cabbage they were eating a lot of it, maybe this create problem (somethimes a head per day) I don't give this anymore.
Whole winter we had about 18-20 eggs per week.Problem start after we lost one on april 18th.

CMV

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Is something disrupting them? For example, I had a coyote that was lunging at my fences several times in a day. It couldn't actually get to the birds, but it was spooking them enough to put them all off lay for weeks after.

Too much of anything isn't great for birds, but I have not heard of cabbage causing something like this, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom