Weird midget Silkie? What coloration is it?

carolsmith7878

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2011
Lakeland, FL
Hi!

This is my son's silkie Tiny Tim (though it may be a she
wink.png
). What would you call the coloration on him/her? It is just under 3 months old. It started looking like our other blue/white splashes, but turned reddish over time.

Also... It is only a 1/3 the size of all the other silkies. It's healthy, just smaller than the rest. Is it a midget?
idunno.gif

We love him/her either way, just wondered about the size and color so I can tell my son.

Thanks for any input!

93763_tiny_tim1.jpg

93763_tiny_tim2.jpg

93763_tiny_tim3.jpg

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Long before I ever got silkies I held quite a few at fairs and shows. They seem alot bigger than my silkies who seem to stop growing when they were around 3 - 4 months old.

Quote:
No you have standards.. their more of the "European" straine though.. American Straines are smaller.

Edit to say European, not asian.. sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wikipedia -

"Almost all North American strains of the breed are bantam sized, but in Europe the large is the original version. However, even "large" Silkies are relatively small chickens, with standard bantam size males weighing only four pounds (1.8 kilos), and females weigh three pounds (1.36 kilos).[4] The American Standard of Perfection calls for males that are 36 ounces (1 kilo), and females that are 32 ounces (910 grams)."

Back
Top Bottom