Weird "Nest" keeps coming back?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silverlaced44, Dec 4, 2015.

1. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Hello~

Something odd is happening in my coop, There is a little door above the nest box's where there is a crack about and 2 inches wide. Yesterday, I found an odd round sort of nest in it. I put it outside in front of the door, and when I went up later it was back in in the same spot, the same nest, The on I put outside the door was gone. I took it out again, leaving it in the same place. This morning it was back in the same spot. The same nest! Has anyone had things like this happen? What is it that keeps bringing it back in? Thanks!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    A rodent moving in for winter?

3. silverlaced44

May 27, 2015
    It could be. I took it out and through it away, I don't want rodents in there. We shall see what happens.

4. silverlaced44

May 27, 2015
    is there a safe way to get mice out of coops?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put a snap trap inside a shoe box, rubber band to hold lid down, with a little hole for mouse to get inside.

6. silverlaced44

May 27, 2015
    Thanks! I found the mouse that's doing it!

7. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I put solid poison in a box, which I then put into a cage so the chickens couldn't get into it. I used a solid poison so that the mice wouldn''t scatter it around and track it out of the box.
    I hurry out every morning and pick up dead mice so the chickens don't try to eat one.

I'm very happy as now the chickens have clean food. I had tried to get out to the barn before dark and pick up their feeder but sometimes I work late and I hated the mice were getting in it, not to mention multiplying like mad.
    I also hung their feeder off the ground so in the future the mice won't be tempted, I hope.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    2 inches is a big crack why don't you seal the crack? you also should have taken a picture of this "nest".

9. silverlaced44

May 27, 2015
    It isn't a crack to the out side, It is a little storage space, where you can keep your grit in a coffee can, ore any other things. I overlaps the nest boxs. I'll post pics tomorrow!!

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your nest builder is simply recycling the sane nest materials to rebuild the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by