Weird noise from hen

Emwilliams12

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Refer to video. Any clue what might be causing this? She’s eating fine, drinking water, bossing around the other chickens, and laying.

I looked down her throat with a flashlight and didn’t see anything. Her breath smells fine and her crop has been emptying like normal.

Her poop looks normal too.

Chicken is very congested with cough and sneeze. It may be a respiratory disease, such as MG, ILT, coryza, or infectious bronchitis. I would contact your vet for an antibiotic, such as Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline as soon as possible. It is always best to test to see which disease it is, because respiratory diseases in chickens can be viruses, bacteria or mycoplasmas, or fungal. But she seems very ill, and I would treat her.

Make sure she has good ventilation in the coop, with no dust, moisture, or ammonia odors. Sick birds may not drink enough, so make sure that she drinks well. You can also worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer as well if gapeworm is a problem in your area. Respiratory diseases are more common than the rare gapeworm. You might ask your local vet to take a swab to test her, or contact your state vet to ask how to get testing. Have you added any new birds in the last few weeks?

Ramona CA
You are in luck that poultry labs are essentially free and available in CA. Perhaps you could contact one for how to proceed. Even ask the avian pathologist to look at your video.
California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory
University of California, School of Veterinary Med
620 West Health Science Drive Davis,
California 95616
Phone: 530-752-8709

Chicken is very congested with cough and sneeze. It may be a respiratory disease, such as MG, ILT, coryza, or infectious bronchitis. I would contact your vet for an antibiotic, such as Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline as soon as possible. It is always best to test to see which disease it is, because respiratory diseases in chickens can be viruses, bacteria or mycoplasmas, or fungal. But she seems very ill, and I would treat her.

Make sure she has good ventilation in the coop, with no dust, moisture, or ammonia odors. Sick birds may not drink enough, so make sure that she drinks well. You can also worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer as well if gapeworm is a problem in your area. Respiratory diseases are more common than the rare gapeworm. You might ask your local vet to take a swab to test her, or contact your state vet to ask how to get testing. Have you added any new birds in the last few weeks?
No new birds in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom