WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Pics
Some really huge eggs here! I feel sorry for those chickens who had to lay those basketball/bullet eggs. Yeouch!

Others, esp the wrinkly ones, show signs that the chicken has Egg Drop Syndrome. It is a VIRUS. I know there's a vaccine for it, and that it's infectious without. It's much more infectious to floor-raised hens rather than battery-raised chickens. It can cause inflammatory issues in the ovaries & mucous coat. It lasts anywhere from a few weeks up to 3 months. It's called 'Egg Drop Syndrome' because the production of eggs 'drops' in number.

I can tell you it is possibly related to the Marek's Vaccine. It can also be due to contact w/ other fowl such as ducks/geese & wild bird droppings. I personally wouldn't eat such eggs.

I'm not allowed to link other chicken-related sites, apparently. Even for educational purposes. So if you want more information you'll have to search for it online. Sorry. :(

Scratch that. I found a NON-CHICKEN Medical website that had a sub-page dedicated to this one virus. So here you go, I can link this!

Egg Drop Syndrome (EDS)

Last edited:

From a RSL. The whole run was brought down the day before then due to really sticky snow. I figured since pretty much everything was destroyed they'd miss a day of laying.. And sure enough they proved me wrong with that double!

They lay a lot of doubles:

This one was weird because it had a seam around the middle I just couldn't get on camera. Strange color band all around.

Haha! I love this thread, cracked me up, get it? Cracked!! lol So I thought I would share something I heard that I am not sure is true but it's cool, Supposedly the shape of an egg can determine the sex of the chick, the longer and pointy ones are more likely to be roosters and the rounder ones are more likely to be hens. Hmmm, I don't know, but just in case I try not to incubate any pointy ones!

Fancy seeing you here!

Loving all the freaky eggs. Am slightly scared now about my ducklings eventually laying!

Here's the weirdest egg I got. This was from my EE hen who never laid a normal egg a day in her life. Most of them were soft shelled, and a majority of them were wrapped in albumen with a second membrane about them (sort of like a failed egg inside an egg). When we processed her, her abdomen was filled with chunky yellow globs, which I've seen before while working for an avian vet doing abdominal surgery on egg bound birds. She was not only laying bizarre eggs, she was also laying internally.
I got one of these from our hens the other day, no shell just the membrane and inner contents. She has layed a normal egg since.

Back
Top Bottom