weird regional words...

Noodles in italian dish = Pasta
Noodles in an asian dish -= noodles
Noodles in my mum's cooking = inediable

Turns out what I eat raw and call "salad" people in the south boil and call "greens".

"Dude" is not gender specific here, it is a replacement for the pronoun "you" or any noun really.

This is pretty interesting. I will have to try and think of some that we use up here.

About the whole pond thing. To me a pond is a small body of water, smaller than a lake but bigger than a puddle. To me small 'lakes' that dont cover more than a square mile are just big ponds. Then the big metal things that horses and cattle drink from are troughs or tanks depending on what uses them. By that I mean that if you use one for chicks its a tank, if it holds water and fish it is a metal fish tank, if its just water for critters its a trough.

I have heard people use creek and crick for the same thing but to me a crick is a trickle no more than a foot wide and a couple inches deep. A creek cant be more than 6' wide and 4' deep, if its more than that its a small river.

Oh another that I havent heard other areas use is "Chonies" we call underwear like boxers chonies.

POND
The whole pond thing in New England confuses me. To me, a native to the Pacific Northwest, a pond is a relatively small body of fresh water. You can see across it. A lake is significantly larger. In New England, it seems like any body of fresh water is a "pond", regardless of size.

SODA/POP
Here in the PNW, a carbonated beverage is generally called "pop". I can't stand this term, in part b/c any time I'd visit my family in New England, they'd make fun of me for using this name. So I switched to calling it "soda". Few people use that term.

SKEEVY and SKETCHY
I'd never heard these word before working at a small liberal arts college in this area. They mean "questionable", "scary", or "gross". Usage: "I don't like going that part of town. It's super sketchy." Or "That guy is so skeevy. He is probably a serial killer."

I agree, sand = water = beach. However, if its weeds or dirt + water, its a bank.

Theres a big thing about hotdish in MN, its like a food group almost. Its also called 'goulosh' (sp?) which is a good name.. gooey stuff lashed together = goulosh. Casserole, hotdish, or goulosh can be a multitude of edible items added together as a meal.
tongue.png

Up here, a crick, creek, and stream are the same. A pond is a body of water that cannot fit very many fishing boats.
Now, over here a swamp and slew are the same things, where as a marsh is more similar to what some would call a moore. But without the quicksand and unseen drop offs. Oh, and 'wetlands' can be any.

A lot of words are becoming less and less regional because of the internet though. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of any New York words but my cousin from Mass uses wicked with everything.

Such as, "That's wicked cool". Not 100% sure what wicked means when used before cool. Maybe in the place of the word really?

Last edited:
Quote:
goulache! good stuff
big_smile.png
its pretty common down here to, even as school food. Now I think I'll have to make me some one of these days soon.

Quote:
I think "wicked" is one of those words used interchangeably to mean "extremely" or "very". around here we use "pretty" like "that's pretty sweet" or "pretty good idea." though with the phonetics it sounds more like "pri'y or purty" depending on who says it....

Quote:
goulache! good stuff
big_smile.png
its pretty common down here to, even as school food. Now I think I'll have to make me some one of these days soon.

So thats the spelling! Thank you.
wink.png

All totally confusing to me... but have any of you ever used the word "Tad" .....

As in oh move that just a tad...... meaning to move a tiny bit....or half a tad, ever smaller move.....

Tad is not uncommon, at least to me. Pitch and sap are two that seem to be regional. We (west coasters) always called the sticky stuff that seeps from trees, or lumber, pitch. Sap is what Maple Syrup is made from.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom