Weird removeable lump on crown

indi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Hi all, my hen is quite elderly (9 this year!) and I recently noticed a strange lump on her crown. White and crusty in appearance and completely dry to touch. I left it a bit thinking it might be dirt but had another check today and it came off in my hands. It left a crater in her crown, no blood or wet tissue thank goodness, but almost like when you get a blackhead out of your nose. The aforementioned lump was white on top and yellow underneath but dry and solid (maybe slightly oily). My question is can chickens get blackheads? It didn't seem to hurt her at all, so I'm not worried just curious!

Unfortunately I didn't take pics, this was more just out of curiosity!
And yes I do mean comb!

Not even a picture of the hole in the comb? It would give us an idea on the size.

There was another thread in here recently about a comb with some hard, white growths on it. I'll see if I can dig it up, maybe it looked similar.

Edit:
Here it is. Was it like this in appearance?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...omb-suddenly-expanding.1448636/#post-24096838

You could also try a forum search for "white growth on comb" or "lump on comb" to see if you find any threads featuring pictures of birds that had something that looks similar to what yours had.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom