Weird scabs on combs PICS!

Jessica
Did you find out what the black scabs were? My rooster has a lot of them. No white on his comb (doesn't look like the fowl pox photos I saw) - just black and feel like scabs. I was wondering if my other rooster was bullying him.

These look more like injuries from either putting his head through the fencing or getting into tiffs with others... I would just keep an eye on it and only treat it as FP if it gets worse and spreads... As others have said, there is no "cure" for FP.. You would treat the wounds so infections don't over run the birds but you basically just want to let it run it's course... But at the same time, you don't want to treat something that isn't there... You can always just put bluekote or neosporin on his comb so if it is from pecking, they will leave it alone and let it heal....

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Don't be scared. Dry pox does not always turn into the messy and scary wet pox. Mine just finished going through it. Of 18 chickens only 4 got dry pox and it gradually went away. You must check on them every day. Apply the iodine. My serama pair felt it the hardest. I had to keep them cooped up to rest because they also got lethargic, but everyone came through just fine. They may stop laying for awhile if they have it as well.
hugs.gif
It also could just be scabs from scuffles with each other. The good news is, if they do have fowl pox, they won't get it again.

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty classic and mild case of fowl pox. A nuisance virus, but nothing to worry about. You can swab some straight betadine/iodine on the nodules to help dry them out and prevent secondary infection, but it is not necessary. Fowl pox usually heals on its own without intervention in about 3 weeks. It looks nasty, but is relatively harmless.

Good luck.

ETA- Old thread. That bird is long healed.

luckyrooster
- The way to tell if scabs are pox or picking is to look at them. If they are raised like nodules then they are pox. If they are just flat black scabs then they are due to picking. The bird in the pic has obviously nodule-like projections under the black, ergo fowl pox. Black scabs present without the growths underneath equals just scabs.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom