Weird Sickness

Dusty Chism

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2019
For the past 3 years I have lost pullets and chickens exhibiting symptoms like they are drunk. No particular age, from several months to years old. No particular breed, breeds from 3 different hatcheries now. They seem to loose ability to use their legs and some move their head like they are dizzy and disoriented. Within a few days of exhibiting these systems they DIE! All my flock are free range in NE Montana and when the snow comes they are held captive in coop till they can get out to forage again so I cant see it being anything they are eating out there. It always one bird at a time randomly and then everything is good for several months so its not a mass flock disease just random.

For the past 3 years I have lost pullets and chickens exhibiting symptoms like they are drunk. No particular age, from several months to years old. No particular breed, breeds from 3 different hatcheries now. They seem to loose ability to use their legs and some move their head like they are dizzy and disoriented. Within a few days of exhibiting these systems they DIE! All my flock are free range in NE Montana and when the snow comes they are held captive in coop till they can get out to forage again so I cant see it being anything they are eating out there. It always one bird at a time randomly and then everything is good for several months so its not a mass flock disease just random.
NE Montana = very long winters. Are you saying that your birds are captive in a coop all winter long and you cant see if they're eating anything?
If the ground is covered with snow in frigid temps, how do they eat and drink to survive?
Enlighten me, I've only lived in southeast Georgia and northeast Florida most my life where it's hot and very humid all the time.

NE Montana = very long winters. Are you saying that your birds are captive in a coop all winter long and you cant see if they're eating anything?
If the ground is covered with snow in frigid temps, how do they eat and drink to survive?
Enlighten me, I've only lived in southeast Georgia and northeast Florida most my life where it's hot and very humid all the time.
Good questions...

Depending on how quickly the symptom come on and how soon after onset of symptoms the birds die whether they are succumbing to toxic poisoning or an avian virus. Or depending on time of year, perhaps coccidiosis or a bacterial infection. Or heat sickness. Or hypothermia. Sorry. The symptoms can represent a broad spectrum of disorders and pathology.

How old are the birds when they start to exhibit symptoms?

How long after onset of symptoms do they die?

What is your water source? City treated water or untreated well water or irrigation water?

It happens throughout the year, spring through winter. I have lost 4 month old pullets and I have lost 2 year old hens. All raised from day old chicks purchased from 3 different hatcheries. Doesnt seem to matter if I purchase vaccinated or unvaccinated chicks. I loose at least one per month. When I notice symptoms its about a week before they die but I believe they die from starvation at that point. Absolutely no meat on them just bare bones. The breast bone is very bare of meat. No they are all egg production breeds or dual purpose not meat chickens but they loose all meat around the breast.
Water source is untreated well water. I keep it in water jugs that are filled from inside sink faucet not a garden hose.

Most recent death was 4 month old pullet. Appeared normal that morning when I let her out of coop and by afternoon I found her laying on her side unable to use her legs. This has been going on for 3 years now.

Without getting testing, there's really no way to know for sure.
If you lose another, sending the body to your state lab may reveal the cause.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Wasting (weight loss), unable to use legs, neurological symptoms (dizzy)...if I had to guess, you are dealing with Marek's disease. But getting confirmation would be a good idea.

My money is on the well water as the cause. Contact your health department and ask how you can get a well water sample tested. It's simple, easy and cheap. This may be your problem. Well water high in iron content binds with bacteria and can become toxic to chickens, especially very young ones. Chickens are especially susceptible to water born bacteria.

OP mentioned having vaccinated AND unvaccinated birds. Depending what they were vaccinated for could be a cause, not sure though. Probable cause sounds like Marek's disease as @Wyorp Rock mentioned.

Untreated well water: Our well water is untreated and currently have iron water and we had hard sulfer water in Georgia and have had no issues with chickens.
However, if the well is near a septic tank/drain field, or agricultural chemicals leached into the water table, there could be problems not only with the chickens, but with people as well.

Back
Top Bottom