Weird White Blister on Wattle

sshore

Chirping
Jun 10, 2016
Hey I just noticed this odd looking blister on my chickens wattle, do you guys have any idea what it could be? Does she need to go to the vet?

Thanks in advance I'm just worried.

Attachments

• IMG_5364.JPG
    IMG_5364.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 86
It could possibly be the beginning of fowlpox. Does she have any blisters on her comb as well? If the blister or blisters begin to turn a purplish color, treat them with iodine and they will fall off.

Hi @sshore :frow Welcome To BYC

It could be from pecking - sometimes you will see a little white around a scab when a chicken has been pecked.

As mentioned by @PatrickRoo keep watch - if you see it starting to turn yellow or raised like a pimple, then it's possible it could be Fowl Pox. Also correct, Iodine will help dry up any scabs.

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562743
feed my WET MASH PROBIOTIC TO WHOLE FLOCK

From Glenda Heywood
Here is what your flock needs to help STAY HEALTHY

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.

ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)
My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE BRAGG;S ACV.
(E) ALSO 1 /2CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.
(D) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.
(E) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER CUP OF MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,
(F) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.
(G) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.
(H) I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.
(I) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed.
(J) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,
(K) nOW IF THE CHICKEN ISSICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
(L) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(M) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash
(N) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(O) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days
(P) now feed it 5 times for second week.
(P) then 2 times a week frlife.
(Q) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS.

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562743
feed my WET MASH PROBIOTIC TO WHOLE FLOCK

From Glenda Heywood
Here is what your flock needs to help STAY HEALTHY

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.

ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)
My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE BRAGG;S ACV.
(E) ALSO 1 /2CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.
(D) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.
(E) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER CUP OF MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,
(F) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.
(G) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.
(H) I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.
(I) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed.
(J) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,
(K) nOW IF THE CHICKEN ISSICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
(L) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(M) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash
(N) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(O) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days
(P) now feed it 5 times for second week.
(P) then 2 times a week frlife.
(Q) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS.
Wh
Hi @sshore :frow Welcome To BYC

It could be from pecking - sometimes you will see a little white around a scab when a chicken has been pecked.

As mentioned by @PatrickRoo keep watch - if you see it starting to turn yellow or raised like a pimple, then it's possible it could be Fowl Pox. Also correct, Iodine will help dry up any scabs.
It could possibly be the beginning of fowlpox. Does she have any blisters on her comb as well? If the blister or blisters begin to turn a purplish color, treat them with iodine and they will fall off.

She doesn't have them on her comb but she had more on her wattle this morning. Can fowl pox blisters show up overnight?

New photos will be helpful. It could be that she is being pecked when roosting. But Fowl Pox is spread by mosquitoes, so bites could swell up overnight.

This is the best picture I could get of her this morning. I'm taking her to the vet on Monday but I'm starting to introduce a new pullet to the flock right now so I'm still worried that she might be contagious or something.

Attachments

• IMG_5370.PNG
    IMG_5370.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Did you quarantine the new chicken for 30 days first?

I haven't but I got it from a feed store that stands behind their chickens being healthy. They said that as long as my flock is healthy it would be okay to start introductions. However I'm now not sure my flock is healthy after seeing these marks on one of my hens, the other two don't have any marks and this one isn't acting sick or anything.

Back
Top Bottom