Welcome Home Stringer Flock

tstringer

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
San Carlos, CA
The much anticipated flock has arrived via USPS today. I am thrilled to see that all little chicks have made the journey from the My Pet Chicken hatchery! Because I am a beginner flock keeper, I ordered 5 different breeds! also because all breeds were so darn adorable, it was difficult to choose a singular breed. I have Blue Andalusian (that appears to be a white splash), Barred Rock, & bantams: cochin frizzle, Mile d Fleur, and Brahma!

The only issue Ive encountered is the cochin frizzle keeps twitching her head and walking backyards. It's very odd. However she is eating and drinking well. Any suggestions are welcome? For what research I've uncovered on BYC forum, it may be a virus from mom to chick.... anyone know if this behavior is contagious? It's hard to watch her struggle like this.

Here is the Stringer Flock.

Coop process to come soon ( thinking of building this gem http://www.tractorsupply.com/know-how_Chicken-Coops_simply-salvaged-chicken-coop-design.html). Ultimately the coop will reside in a fully covered and hopefully well secured chicken run of 300 Sq ft. When I am outside with them, they will have the benefit of free ranging.

Congratulations on your new chicks! You should have a pretty little flock there. That coop design is cute, depending on how much space you have available, you might want to account for chicken math, they multiply you know.
Hope the frizzle is doing better. Do you have them on vitamins like save a chick? I would wonder about wry neck though it is young. A congenital defect from being squashed in the egg is another possibility. Behavior is not contagious, a virus of course may be, were you concerned about Mareks or Newcastle? If it is from reputable hatchery and I would hope MPC would use one that is testing, those hopefully are not a problem. I would contract the hatchery to get the problem with the chick on record asap.

Back
Top Bottom