Welcome to Chicklandia

Sooooo, after consulting with BYC members, Olive is likely Oliver. My first clue was big feet, then a reddish comb. Also (s)he has already spent some time in chicken jail. I'll be keeping a close eye on the flock dynamics. Hoping this can work out, but am looking into plans B and C if needed. Will also be contacting the farm that guaranteed me a hen...;)

View attachment 2397699
Oh no! Well keep an eye on him. If he gets too aggressive with the girls, you may need to keep him permanently separated.

Well the time has come to face facts and find Oliver a new home. He's an awesome cockerel, now 13 weeks, but I like my neighbors. I can't ask them to tolerate a rooster. I've posted in the free rehoming and Connecticut threads. If you know someone who is interested, let me know!

View attachment 2416078
Aww...Oliver is a handsome guy! 💖 I am so sorry you have to rehome him.

An unexpected mild and sunny day in Chicklandia today! So I got a few updated photos. With Rhaega as the measure, it's clear the others are getting big. Rhaega reigns supreme, with Cricket as her #2. Followed by Gigi, Fleur, then Poppy. Poppy is well integrated into the flock, thank goodness.

four hens.jpg

Cricket, Fleur, Gigi, Rhaega

fleur and cricket.jpg

Fleur with her speckled beard, and Cricket

poppy rolls.jpg

Poppy is a smart girl, teaching the others how to roll the bottle for food.

First big snow of the winter; at least a foot. Chicklandia held up well. The flock was uncertain about this and stayed in their coop until late morning. I coaxed them out with warm oatmeal.

first big snow.jpg
all dug out.jpg

Well they certainly look safe and dry in there! Not sure if we will get another big snow or not but I don't think it will matter to them!

Well they certainly look safe and dry in there! Not sure if we will get another big snow or not but I don't think it will matter to them!
Rhaega still rules the roost! A couple of weeks ago, she half-buried herself in the tire dust bath, looking like she was blissed-out. I wish I got a picture for you. Perhaps she'll do it again.

Chicklandia news! (bawk, bawk, bawk...)

This morning, I was distressed to discover Rhaega was locked out of the coop last night. :th
Fortunately, temperature was 27, cold not not super fridged. She moved slowly at first, then began to eat and drink. I went back out to check on her, and discovered she laid a soft egg in the run where she had spent the night. It was not frozen, so she laid it early this morning.

Rhaega soft egg.jpg

Rhaega is about four years old and has not laid all winter, as expected. The rest are pullets, about five months old and not yet laying. I was slowly introducing layer feed mixed with grower feed, but have now switched to 100% layer feed. There's also oyster shell available in a separate feeder.

Several days ago, I opened the nest box for the first time and placed a couple fake eggs. They've been checking it out, especially Rhaega. I'm hoping she'll lay there in a day or two. And I will do a headcount every night and not rely on just a quick look around the run.

Always something to learn in Chicklandia!

Back
Top Bottom