Welcome to Chicklandia

Uh, oh...trouble in Chicklandia! 😳

Today, I discovered Olive (EE pullet) bullying Gigi and Fleur (Faverolle pullets) by picking at the pin feathers on their feet, drawing blood. I cleaned up their feet and used a bit of Neosporin. I'll keep an eye on them. As for Olive, she's in chicken jail. A sturdy dog crate with everything she needs. (She's throwing a temper tantrum right now.) I'm keeping her in the carport tonight, but will place the crate in the run tomorrow. She's not getting out until Gigi and Fleur are healed. Then, we'll see if Olive has learned her lesson. I hope so!
Sometimes chicken jail is necessary. And I hope Olive learns her lesson!

CHICKEN JAIL
Inmate #24601 (aka "Olive")
Crime: pecking pin feathers on feet

Inmate 24601.jpg

:eek:It's winter in Chicklandia!

An early snow is testing the winterized coop/run and so far, so good. I have an Omlet Eglu that has a heavy duty tarp roof, and is now wrapped in both clear and translucent tarps. I left the top of the run open for ventilation. I'm happy to report that the roost and nest are both dry--no condensation. I use sand in the poop tray with dries it out. (I scoop it out daily.)

Inside the run is pretty dry and not overly humid. Some rain/snow get in, but not enough to make a mess--at least not so far. Hens are dry and happy. Gigi, one of my Faverolles, makes a cameo. Rhaega is in the background.

Attachments

• Dry Roost and Nest.jpg
    Dry Roost and Nest.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Inside Eglu Coop.jpg
    Inside Eglu Coop.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Inside Eglu WIR.jpg
    Inside Eglu WIR.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 9
  • Winterized Eglu 1.jpg
    Winterized Eglu 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Winterized Eglu 2.jpg
    Winterized Eglu 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
:eek:It's winter in Chicklandia!

An early snow is testing the winterized coop/run and so far, so good. I have an Omlet Eglu that has a heavy duty tarp roof, and is now wrapped in both clear and translucent tarps. I left the top of the run open for ventilation. I'm happy to report that the roost and nest are both dry--no condensation. I use sand in the poop tray with dries it out. (I scoop it out daily.)

Inside the run is pretty dry and not overly humid. Some rain/snow get in, but not enough to make a mess--at least not so far. Hens are dry and happy. Gigi, one of my Faverolles, makes a cameo. Rhaega is in the background.
Glad they are all warm and dry! :)

Congratulations! And btw you made a good choice for your chicken run. I also have an Omlet chicken run (not coop though) and let me tell you- they’re impenetrable. I haven’t had a single predator issue since I bought mine a year ago. For a larger flock I bought a large run, but if anyone else is interested in this run, you can customize the size by width length and height and add separators and doors And lots of other things.

I love the name of your coop and your chickens are certainly spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom