Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

@kwhites634 , I have had Lyme outbreaks once with diagnosis and possibly a second earlier time. Doxycycline cured/put me into remission both times. I have since taken part in a Lyme disease vaccination development program. My reaction to the vaccine was worse than when I had the outbreaks. Almost all of my dogs test positive for Lyme's. Only a relatively low number have had outbreaks that responded well to Doxycycline. I really think that almost anyone who spends a lot of time in the outdoors is positive for Lyme. It's just that not everyone shows symptoms.

Ours were light colored too and now that they are over a year old they are starting to get darker

My wife is like that. She is spot on about giving good medical advice. But a horrible procrastinator about taking the advice herself.
These two are the only BCM hens I've ever had, so I wasn't sure...Thanks

Went to the ER after 3 days of pain in my shoulder. Now i have a sling and Motrin for heavens sake, like that is going to help so much. And the pharmacy is not even open to fill my rx. So i am feeling just as lousy as i did when i went in there. They said my xrays look ok, but i probably have bursitis. I have been mostly resting for 3 days already , with 0 improvement. They said i can go to the ortho doc if it doesn't get better. I was hoping for a steroid shot in the joint. Sigh.
Hope you find some relief soon, Cap!

Oh bobbi Im so sorry about your mom! Lots of prayers and :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thanks, Lisa!

:barnie
My mom had permanent nerve damage from shingles too. :(

I'm sorry about your mom bobbi! :hugs Breast cancer has a large number of survivors these days & I hope & pray your mom is another one that can be added to that growing list. :hugs We all got used to wearing face masks when my sister was sick. I told myself that it was very Asian Chic.:thumbsup

Dear Pond,
You guys are a mess today. Please tell me its not contagious.
Yours truly,
R. OB. :hugs
I got the two-part shingles vaccine. We have a neighbor who has suffered with it (or from the effects of it) for years. Nope, don't want to take that chance.

Because of CWD I guess they are not allowing any bait next year.
It's illegal here to hunt over bait. We can, however, plant food plots for them and hunt near them. "Recreational" feeding of deer is legal, except in a few counties where CWD has been found.

Flu shots yearly - no reaction and no flu. Hope that I have not just jinxed us. We both have gotten the pneumonia shot. Started after the Princess had pneumonia. Shingles haven't done that yet. Grand daughter with Lupus got shingles. It has left her deaf in her left ear and with neurological twitches. Doctors are not certain if this is permanent or not. :barnie :he
Sour, I'm so sorry for what your GD has gone through. Praying her hearing returns.

Hope it was caught early enough that it will be relatively easy to get rid of.

Never know about these things. My mom and grandmother both had it. Both made it through just fine. And treatment sure has gotten better. My grandmother had more treatment needed, as well as a full mastectomy. My mom only needed a 6 week treatment and a lumpectomy.

Turns out that there are different kinds too... and some are easier to treat than others. :idunno My aunt just found out that her body was about to produce breast cancer (like her sister/my mom) and they found out by a blood test. She just has to take pills for a few years I think. Crazy cool.

Anyway... good luck. Stressful when your mom is involved. :hugs
We're not sure yet what kind it is, or what surgery/treatment options she has. It took 5 weeks, several biopsies, a mammogram, CT and MRI before they found it. Hopefully that means it's quite early.

"Stressful when your Mom is involved." 'Al', you said a mouthful there.
That's for sure!

Ours were light colored too and now that they are over a year old they are starting to get darker

My wife is like that. She is spot on about giving good medical advice. But a horrible procrastinator about taking the advice herself.
I may or may not be that same person... :oops: I keep telling myself, "It'll get better soon!" I'm a terrible patient.

Last edited:
@kwhites634 , I have had Lyme outbreaks once with diagnosis and possibly a second earlier time. Doxycycline cured/put me into remission both times. I have since taken part in a Lyme disease vaccination development program. My reaction to the vaccine was worse than when I had the outbreaks. Almost all of my dogs test positive for Lyme's. Only a relatively low number have had outbreaks that responded well to Doxycycline. I really think that almost anyone who spends a lot of time in the outdoors is positive for Lyme. It's just that not everyone shows symptoms.
You're probably right.

Speaking of BCM girls, when your two were new layers were their eggs' color several shades lighter than than the normal dark brown BCM egg? I'm pretty sure that one of mine is laying, 'cause the egg is pretty small; 'bout like my Buff girls. The color is about what I got out of my RSL's.

Yep, their first few eggs are much lighter until they get the paint booth going properly. Speckles too. But after a few eggs, they get better.

Musical chicken coops today.
Just moved 6 bantam cochin cockerels out of my main cochin pen, and moved them to a bachelor pen, opened up when I moved the 2 remaining BCM girls in with the CLs (eventual olive eggers! Yay)
I thought I had more young dudes, but couldn’t pick them all out in the dark. Young cockerel combs can be about the same size as older hens. But I’m glad to get a few moved.
View attachment 1593811
:love:love
Very Nice Dan! :highfive::love

Back
Top Bottom