Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

BEAUTIFUL MORNING PONDITES!!!
90's????? The horror!!!! It hit the low 70's here yesterday and I nearly barbecued finishing the veggie planting. Only salvation was the constant cooling 35+ mph winds that were often blowing in just the right direction to totally void any protection from our woods (aka directly up our dirt road, picking up a lot of the fine sandy soil from the potato fields to our south along the way, with particularly strong gusts turning the air the color of freshly tanned leather that you could literally taste). My poor little plants took quite a beating but all look happily upright this morning.
Feeling a bit sore this morning (and "the warden" has already asked what I plan on doing). It's supposed to be even hotter with less wind so today it's just some poop scooping from the coop this morning, the few remaining plants into the garden and getting my cooking herbs nestled into the planter that my warden mounted on the back porch railing for me yesterday.
Then, I think I'm going to give the body a break, curl up in that LazyBoy on the back porch with the book I've been trying to finish forever, watch those amazing little hummingbirds come to feeders and flowerpots I've hung up just for them and listen to my chooks purr and chitter happily as they sunbathe on the steps, which they do every time they know I'm on the porch, secure in the knowledge I'm there to protect them and likely in anticipation of the treat that will sooner or later come flying over the gate. They have me so well trained.

61165965_10213805871813367_216908789184462848_n.jpg

:p
I just wasnt planning on buying anything. Till I saw them and wanted them.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. They held a small auction at the field trial yesterday. One of the items was an antique measuring stand (hounds are measured at the shoulders to place in 13" or 15" classes), and for some reason I wanted it. One of my 'not favorite' people was also bidding on it, but he gave up. Princess asked me how high I was prepared to go. I replied, "I checked my cash and I had $240 in my pocket." She asked, "You'd have gone that high?" I replied, "Against that guy ? Even higher. I'd have asked Fred (long time friend) for a loan if necessary." I have no idea what I will do with it, but it's mine.

Yes ma'am Mrs chicki 90s with No wind. Seriously it only blows around here when a storms coming. So ive been in the free pool from craigslist almost everyday for the past wk and had the littles in their pools 3 times this wk too :lau
We've been having some freak weather. There was a huge windstorm on Friday that covered almost the entire northern half of the state. Knocked down a lot of trees, ripped off some roofs and there are some folks still without power. Fortunately for us, the worst of it was to our west. It really caught everyone off guard because like you, we just don't have high winds without being connected to some kind of storm. The talking heads on the news gave all kinds of numbers about how many years since, never happened this strong, etc. complete with graphs, charts and weather maps.

I hired a log splitter last year. I wasn't very impressed. It worked okayish on chunks with straight grain but if the chunk had knots in it the splitter ran out of grunt.
Now this was probably not the best splitter but it was the one the hire company recommended.
I ended up changing the length of the logs cut with the chainsaw. Anything shorter than 10" splits quite well with the axe. The tough ones split well with wedges.
10" way too much handling to suit me; I like 'em as close to 16" as I can get. Stove will take 24", but that's too hard to handle.

10" way too much handling to suit me; I like 'em as close to 16" as I can get. Stove will take 24", but that's too hard to handle.
Yup, it is more picking up a and stacking if you do stack, but at my age I would rather pick up than bust a gut swinging a maul trying to split.
We have a couple of decent axes and mostly the 10" hardwood split green will split in one strike.

:rant Hate it when things like that gum up the works.

Glad everything else moved along.

Oh.. at the wedding... the song playing as we left... "Take another piece of my heart" :gig AT A WEDDING !!!!! :lau

I love that song! Sorry about the cookies. You should've smuggled few out.

:p

Something similar happened to me yesterday. They held a small auction at the field trial yesterday. One of the items was an antique measuring stand (hounds are measured at the shoulders to place in 13" or 15" classes), and for some reason I wanted it. One of my 'not favorite' people was also bidding on it, but he gave up. Princess asked me how high I was prepared to go. I replied, "I checked my cash and I had $240 in my pocket." She asked, "You'd have gone that high?" I replied, "Against that guy ? Even higher. I'd have asked Fred (long time friend) for a loan if necessary." I have no idea what I will do with it, but it's mine.

Oooooh! I know you don't do pictures, but I'd love to see that! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom