Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good Morning, Pond!
I hope you’ll indulge me by letting me share a proud Gramma moment here. This is my granddaughter. She’s 6. She wanted to climb on the big round hay bales along their driveway. Her daddy didn’t want to boost her up on every one of them…
E5434262-0FAE-4690-A9F4-FD1E7F3C2302.jpeg

That’s my girl!

Good Morning, Pond!
I hope you’ll indulge me by letting me share a proud Gramma moment here. This is my granddaughter. She’s 6. She wanted to climb on the big round hay bales along their driveway. Her daddy didn’t want to boost her up on every one of them…
View attachment 3193330
That’s my girl!

Very determined young lady.

She seems to have figured out how to do it by herself.

I'd be proud too if she were my granddaughter.

Very determined young lady.

She seems to have figured out how to do it by herself.

I'd be proud too if she were my granddaughter.
She’s the child I wished upon her father.:lau One day last year, she had decided she didn’t want whatever it was that they had for supper, and wanted to leave the table. She was allowed to do so, but was told that when she was hungry, her plate would be waiting for her. About an hour after the rest of the family was done, DS heard something in the kitchen. Granddaughter had gotten into the freezer, helped herself to some chicken nuggets, and was putting them in the microwave! Son was torn between being impressed and irritated.

She’s the child I wished upon her father.:lau One day last year, she had decided she didn’t want whatever it was that they had for supper, and wanted to leave the table. She was allowed to do so, but was told that when she was hungry, her plate would be waiting for her. About an hour after the rest of the family was done, DS heard something in the kitchen. Granddaughter had gotten into the freezer, helped herself to some chicken nuggets, and was putting them in the microwave! Son was torn between being impressed and irritated.

Maybe they should start letting her a meal for herself once a week.

It is very hard to let them do things on their own as you have to have extra time.

Sometimes we just have to stop and smell the ROSES!

Maybe they should start letting her a meal for herself once a week.

It is very hard to let them do things on their own as you have to have extra time.

Sometimes we just have to stop and smell the ROSES!
Oh, they “let” her do things on her own. (She just goes ahead and does things.) She’s a very independent child. The point was, she was told that when she decided to eat, it would be what Mom had made for supper that night, not something else. Trying to encourage her to eat what was served.

Good Morning, Pond!
View attachment 3193330
That’s my girl!
I’m impressed!!! Love that spirit!
Oh, they “let” her do things on her own. (She just goes ahead and does things.) She’s a very independent child. The point was, she was told that when she decided to eat, it would be what Mom had made for supper that night, not something else. Trying to encourage her to eat what was served.
I get it!! She’s going to be a thinker…a problem solver…,and a strong minded woman! We need about a million more just like her!

Kind of reminds me of a granddaughter Kendra story. As most of you know, Kendra has Spina Bifida, is developmentally delayed, Autistic, and they “class” her as non-verbal, although she doesn’t quite tick that box. In school they were working on her doing things in order…first you do this, then you do that, etc.

So Jenny was in the kitchen making supper when she heard a whooshing kind of sound from the living room. She ran in there and Kendra was sitting on the floor with a can of ReddiWhip between her legs. She was bending down putting her mouth on the can and trying to fill her mouth with the whip, not realizing that to do what Gramma taught her :oops: she had to hold the can upright and upside down to dispense it. Jenny gently took the can from her. The “conversation” went like this:

Jen - No, sweetie. Mama’s making supper so your tummy has to wait a little bit. No whip. But I have the rest of your popcorn here. You can have that until we eat.

Kendra, with a big toothy smile - Okay, first popcorn, then Cool Whip.

Here‘s the dilemma….we communicate with her in full sentences because we know she understands and responds to every word. The goal is getting her to understand that we will also respond to her communication, whether written out (which she prefers and does very well) or preferably spoken. So if she tells us what she wants or needs, if at all possible we let her have it. If she asks for cookie or cheese, then she gets a cookie or cheese.

In this case, she wanted ReddiWhip so she helped herself and tried to squirt it into her mouth. Independence. Then she used her “first this, then that” lessons to negotiate. Logic. And finally, she told Jenny, with words, her negotiation terms. Communication. Question….do you let her keep the can while she finishes her little bit of popcorn and then give her a squirt of the ReddiWhip, or do you let her have the popcorn and make her eat her dinner, saving the sweet treat until later? Parental dilemma! :lau:lau

I’m impressed!!! Love that spirit!

I get it!! She’s going to be a thinker…a problem solver…,and a strong minded woman! We need about a million more just like her!

Kind of reminds me of a granddaughter Kendra story. As most of you know, Kendra has Spina Bifida, is developmentally delayed, Autistic, and they “class” her as non-verbal, although she doesn’t quite tick that box. In school they were working on her doing things in order…first you do this, then you do that, etc.

So Jenny was in the kitchen making supper when she heard a whooshing kind of sound from the living room. She ran in there and Kendra was sitting on the floor with a can of ReddiWhip between her legs. She was bending down putting her mouth on the can and trying to fill her mouth with the whip, not realizing that to do what Gramma taught her :oops: she had to hold the can upright and upside down to dispense it. Jenny gently took the can from her. The “conversation” went like this:

Jen - No, sweetie. Mama’s making supper so your tummy has to wait a little bit. No whip. But I have the rest of your popcorn here. You can have that until we eat.

Kendra, with a big toothy smile - Okay, first popcorn, then Cool Whip.

Here‘s the dilemma….we communicate with her in full sentences because we know she understands and responds to every word. The goal is getting her to understand that we will also respond to her communication, whether written out (which she prefers and does very well) or preferably spoken. So if she tells us what she wants or needs, if at all possible we let her have it. If she asks for cookie or cheese, then she gets a cookie or cheese.

In this case, she wanted ReddiWhip so she helped herself and tried to squirt it into her mouth. Independence. Then she used her “first this, then that” lessons to negotiate. Logic. And finally, she told Jenny, with words, her negotiation terms. Communication. Question….do you let her keep the can while she finishes her little bit of popcorn and then give her a squirt of the ReddiWhip, or do you let her have the popcorn and make her eat her dinner, saving the sweet treat until later? Parental dilemma! :lau:lau
I love that story! I love how Kendra’s brain works! And yes, therein lies the dilemma. With the chicken nuggets, Son wasn’t sure if he should be impressed by the independence, or irritated with the disobedience…

Back
Top Bottom