Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

@sourland
9343FFC1-D3A8-4F3F-9D9C-7B67823A9172.jpeg

1/25 was also my Father’s birthday. He would have been 98 today, RIP Louie. ❤️

I keep wondering… how did it get in the house?
I found her under one of the duck pools when I was cleaning. The last time I found some under there the ducks ran over & gobbled them up. So I brought it in the house to “save” it from being eaten & put it in a little habitat with some live, baby meal worms. I had good intentions of letting the kids observe her for a day then putting her back out when the ducks were asleep. It was cold, I was tired & thought it was ok for her to spend the night. I put the lid on, put her in the corner & went to bed.

Here’s the kicker. I was exhausted but couldn’t sleep. I laid in bed all night long & in my head I could hear little Nui (yes, I named her) calling me to put her out. I was cold & tired & didn’t want to go outside, so I kept justifying that one night wouldn’t matter. She had clean water, food, wet & dry land, a rock, a plant, was in a dark, quiet spot. What difference would one night make? The difference between life & death apparently.

Sigh! All I ask of myself in this life is for the knowledge to know what the right thing to do is & the strength to actually do it. I KNEW I should’ve just gotten out of bed & let her out, but I didn’t & that’s why I’m kicking myself. I loved her, I wanted to save her, but I inadvertently killed her.

I’m going to hell. I bet they only have instant decaf there.

Last edited:
I found her under one of the duck pools when I was cleaning. The last time I found some under there the ducks ran over & gobbled them up. So I brought it in the house to “save” it from being eaten & put it in a little habit with some live, baby meal worms. I had good intentions of letting the kids observe her for a day then putting her back out when the ducks were asleep. It was cold, I was tired & thought it was ok for her to spend the night. I put the lid on, put her in the corner & went to bed.

Here’s the kicker. I was exhausted but couldn’t sleep. I laid in bed all night long & in my head I could hear little Nui (yes, I named her) calling me to put her out. I was cold & tired & didn’t want to go outside, so I kept justifying that one night wouldn’t matter. She had clean water, food, wet & dry land, a rock, a plant, was in a dark, quiet spot. What difference would one night make? The difference between life & death apparently.

Sigh! All I ask of myself in this life is for the knowledge to know what the right thing to do is & the strength to actually do it. I KNEW I should’ve just gotten out of bed & let her out, but I didn’t & that’s why I’m kicking myself. I loved her, I wanted to save her, but I inadvertently killed her.

I’m going to hell. I bet they only have instant decaf there.
Have you found her body yet? If not, I’m going with, she’s still alive and probably found her way out. Until there’s a body, she’s alive and well. :hugs Sounds like you had a lovely place for her to spend the night. Little ingrate…

I’ve always liked salamanders. When I was a kid, I’d go across the street to the neighbors’ house and rescue them out of the basement window wells.

Good morning everyone. It was 7° last I checked and snow is lightly falling outside.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to a few videos from the orchestra concert the Ponte night. The JYSO is a regional, youth orchestra that you have to audition to get in to. DS plays clarinet in it. In the 9 minute video, he has a solo at about 4:17. I felt so bad...the kid right behind him dropped his mute right in the middle of his solo but he didn't jump at all :)

JYSO orchestra links

Back
Top Bottom