Well here goes.... First time incubating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loanwizard, Aug 26, 2011.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Took the plunge and bought a used incubator and egg turner. It's a Hovabator 58 something I think. The previous owner installed a new thermostat and it holds right at about 101 degrees. I have a hydrometer that I will put in it here soon.

Last night 08/25/2011 I put in 22 eggs so we'll see what happens. I am not sure what breeds are in there. When I am allowed to post pics I will do so and you smart people can tell me which are RIR, which are Sex Link, and I have some I bought at Tractor Supply that are huge white with black around the collar that I can't seem to pin down. I guess we will see what happens Sept. 17th or so.

Lots of fun.

I want to get some Lavender Buff Orphingtons and some Marans but one step at a time.

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Welcome to BYC!!!

Good start on incubation--nice combo of fun chickens. THe white with the dark collar and tail is a color that several breeds have, so the breed maybe hard to nail down.

LOVE lav orpingtons--they are on my wish list. I did get some marans a few months ago. Gotta love the eggs. Intriguing colors.

If you run into problems or have questions, I'm sure someone will help out--usually several someones! Are you doing the dry incubating method--many people have succes with that one, all depends on where you live.

GOOD LUCK.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    welcome and good luck with your hatch. watch out its addicting.

4. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    [​IMG] Good Luck!!!

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I put some silkie eggs in same day as you. 1 day in and seems such a long wait but 21 days does go by fast. Good luck!

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Good luck! [​IMG]

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:You can probably post pics. I did my first posting... try it can't hurt! Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by