well it appears we've been adopted...

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
down at the barn DH had found a weird tunnel thru the stacks of hay. we thought a chicken was going in there and laying eggs but we checked every day and found nothing. we wanted to close the hole up, afraid a groundhog or coon was living in there but we'd have had to move about 500 bales of hay so it was not worth it.

so last night when we were doing our egg sweep, DH shined his flashlight down the hole to discover 3 baby kittens. we had seen a cat in the barn a few times and in our big pasture but never knew what it was doing. evidently she was stashing her babies. so i put out a bowl of cat food but can't tell if anything ate on it last night. this morning, right in front of the coop, something was in the live trap, was a very scared momma cat. i turned her loose, so hopefully she knows we're OK folks and she will continue to live here with her kittens, we're glad to be adopted by some barn cats. we have 2 cats that live at our house but the barn is too far for them to go.

on another note, DH thinks that's where my eggs have been disappearing to. never heard of a cat eating a raw egg, but he swears that's true.
smile.png
anyway, they're cute kittens. they were mewing away last night.

I have a cat who loves to steal eggs from the nest boxes. Didn't think it was a cat until I finally caught him the act. He was climbing up the fence and squeezing through a small opening and then carrying them back out the same way. Almost everyday I'd find an empty eggshell right out side the pen. he always made a neat round hole in the side of the egg. I never thought he'd be able to carry a raw egg that way. I fixed the hole and haven't found a shell outside the fence since.

Back
Top Bottom