Well, it finally happened.... i've got an egg eater

ninjascrub69

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bloomingdale, MI
Yesterday i was collecting eggs, and one of my production reds was in one of the nest boxes. Since i was already out there, i decided to wait for her to lay the egg, so i sat there for a while, and she just backed out of the nest box, so i looked in and saw an egg shell (the egg was layed by my BA) covered in yolk. Is there something i can do to make her stop eating eggs? And why isnt she eating her own? (I get one of her eggs every day, so i know she isnt eating them)

Sorry to hear it. At least you know who is doing it!!

Unless the egg she was eating was a soft shell or this shell egg, you may have to separate her and try a mustard egg on her to see if you can break the habit.

That's good it was thin shelled, it probably broke by accident then.

Time will tell if she has decided all eggs are food. If you don't already have some, put a few wooden eggs in the boxes to help discourage her from trying more eggs, or house her apart for a little while with some wooden eggs for company. Try to collect the real ones as soon as possible for awhile if you are leaving her in the main coop.

Quote:
It did have a relatively thin shell, so will I have to worry about her eating more eggs, or will she leave eggs with regular shells alone?

she will go for regular-shelled eggs, also, and will teach others to do so; they learn very fast............................

Back
Top Bottom