Well. Let's add some CHAOS shall we?

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
lol! Alright, I have three 10 week old Wyandotte pullets (hopefully), two 14 week old pullets (EE and Barred Rock), and I just aquired a 4-5 month old Dark Brahma. I had been planning on introducing the 10 weekers to the 14 weekers outside the run on Tuesday. Now I have this older girl to add into the mix. She is currently in with my three 10 weekers, and is downright mothering them. On one hand, it's great, on the other, I am worried what my 14 week old Barred Rock will do to her if she is sweet enough to be with the smallest chicks..

How should I go about this? Just open the run door and let them all mingle? My flock consist of three 10 week olds, two 14 week olds, and one 4-5 month old. The 10 weekers and 4-5 month old are great together, but can I feel confident the bigger girl will defend herself when my 14 week old Barred Rock goes to figure her out? Any advice would be great, and looking for advice on how to integrate my flock with the least amount of insanity possible.
big_smile.png

I will be introducing everybody this coming Tuesday. They will see, hear, smell each other through the run fencing till then.

Edited To Add: I did not quarantine this new girl. I do not need to explain why, but To Each Their Own. I do not need advice on quarantine or any sort of lecture. I am aware of the dangers, and decided to do it this way for my own reasons. Please do not respond offering quarantine advice, this thread is NOT regarding that subject. This is for integration information. Thank you!
smile.png

Last edited:
Flock just keeps getting bigger and bigger! I just added another breed to the group I'll be putting in the incubator next week: blue laced red wyandotte bantams. Congratulations on your latest addition!

Mwaaaahaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaa she cackled, evilly.

So, did that suspect 'Dot go for a ride with you to Folsom today? And the Dark Brahma just happen to switch places with it on the ride back home?
lau.gif

You just wanted someone to bump up the egg laying bit early, didn't you! Don't deny it - I did it too earlier this year, when I bought the Lakenvelder sisters.

Well, congratulations on the acquisition of a Dark Brahma! And she's being an auntie to the kids, too! That's wonderful.

On the integration bit, I think you're over-worrying the pecking order process. I seriously doubt anybody will injure each other after they've had some time to compare notes, trade insults, one-up each other and 'suss things up through the segregation pen wire.

The establishment of the pecking order is just plain unpleasant for us non-confrontational people. But it's nature and necessary for our feathered folks. Each scuffle makes me cringe, as it will you. But they gotta go through it.

Now, where are those pictures, missy???

You were behind this too!! A little Linda sitting on my shoulder whispering "Do it. Take the offer. How can you refuse??" LOL! And yes, the suspected Wyandotte, Spade, went to a new home in Folsom. Egg laying had not even crossed my mind funnily enough! At least until the lady said "She's close to laying age too." I was just SO taken by her looks. There was an older Dark Brahma and I kept commenting on how beautiful she was, and the lady was like "You want one like that? I have a nice pullet who is just like this girl." I was stoked!! No way I turned her down lol
big_smile.png

Her name is Monica and she was quiet on the ride home, very sweet and has a kind eye. A total maternal girl too, I think I may end up with a broody girl! lol! Here are some pictures:

DebbysChickens020.jpg

DebbysChickens021.jpg

DebbysChickens024.jpg

I have ZIP knowlage on this breed, and honestly didn't know if they are an egg layer or not. I will be reading up on them tonight!

Thanks for the tips, they will have interacted through the fence for a few days before I turn everybody loose. I am more worried for Monica's sake then anybody elses. She seems so sweet and I know Joon is just waiting for that moment lol. Will a 14 week old pullet dominate a 5 month old pullet??

Oh, she has beautiful feathering! I don't know if that's what is called penciling, but that pattern is simply gorgeous.

And Brahmas are considered good layers of average-sized brown eggs. Henderson's Breed Chart lists them as "good, or frequent, brooder. Robust; very hardy in heat & cold, Slow to mature. Adaptable to confinement or free range; mostly gentle; more easily handled."

Monica. Nice name - I like it!

She's beautiful. (and yes, it's called penciling)
smile.png

Just watch them carefully when you integrate. She's larger than they are, so I don't think she'll have any trouble establishing herself as top chicken. My light brahma is the "princess" and also the top in the pecking order, so don't assume she's "too sweet". Chasing, pecking, bullying is normal. Leave them be unless there is blood. But I suspect everything will be fine. (you may have fighting among the younger ones, but the brahma will be fine)

Great! Thanks for the information! For the life of me I could not find that chart
big_smile.png
She was panting a lot in the car, but that's because when I got her I had to catch her with the net on hand. I have never used a net to catch a chicken, it was a little scary, but she stopped moving right when the net went over her and I just picked her up and she was fine. She isn't panting now though, in fact she is quite enjoying the dribble hose I put in there, getting her feathered feet all wet and cooled off.

I am totally taken by how sweet she is, and her feather design is just eye catching! I've heard they tend to be broody, and if that happens I will figure something out whether it's letting her hatch some eggs or what. I have my smaller crate/coop I can use as a broody house like you used your A-Frame. I am very excited though, and love just watching her explore the new home. I was worried how she would adjust to going from a big big pen to my coop/run for the time being. Tuesday she will be free in the yard with everybody else, but till then she is in the ebay coop with the wyandottes.

If Monica has not made any aggresive moves toward the Wyandottes, can I feel comfortable putting them in the coop together tonight? I won't wake up to a bloodbath will I? She seems to really care and mentor the 10 week old Wyandottes, and has only pecked once or twice when they got too rowdy.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will take that into consideration, and will not be fooled by her sweetness. I guess Joon is really sweet to me also, but she is head hen outside of the penned girls. I will watch for blood, and will be watching the younger ones as well. Thank you again
smile.png
I have never brought in an OLDER girl before. Does she look around 5 months like my guess? I was just told she was close to laying age, so I assumed 5 months.

I have a mixed flock of 13 week olds, and recently ended up getting 5 more chooks - two 13 week olds, two one year olds and a freebie 2 year old.

The original crew:
6 RIR (2 roo, 4 hen)
4 SLW - 3 roo, one hen)
2 Red sex link

The newbies:
1 California gray hen - 13weeks
1 GLW hen - 13 weeks
1 black sex link - 1 yr
1 Light Brahma - 1 yr "Big Momma"
1 buff laced polish - 2yr "Honey"

Separate, everyone was happy as could be, and for my original flock, I couldn't tell any certain pecking order. They just hung around and what not. All the boys liked to challenge each other, but no feathers flying, no real anything.

Entry time - EVERYONE was up in arms! The boys decided they were going to assert themselves. Poor Honey, the polish, had a time of it - I ended up holding her until some of the drama settled because they were going after her head. However, when the Brahma came in, Oh. Em. Gee. She put a WHUPPING on any and everybody. The boys didn't know what to think! Two of them ganged on her, and she just whomped them.

The feathers settled after the first day. No one drew blood, just lots of feathers. I was able to introduce Honey back in with minimal picking on, and she is now in the mid pack - no one bothers her other than the occasional peck, and she doesn't bother anyone other than an occasional peck. The gray and the GLW are at the bottom of the order with the SLW hen, but all three are kinda flighty and goofy anyway, so they just stay together and freak out at any movement. The boys occasionally try to pick on them, but they get away and are a lot more nimble.

Big Momma is definately on top of the order. No one messes with her, and she can get anyone running with just a stink eye. She doesn't peck or bother anyone, but I think they are all scared to death of her. She is a benevolent ruler
smile.png
The black sex link is her second in command - they hang together, and I've not seen her challenge anyone, nor anyone make moves on her.

So yeah - those Brahmas can hold their own
big_smile.png
Big Momma is a sweetie though, I just wouldn't want to chicken fight with her!

I don't know if this is an old wives tale or not.but I use it .
As well as having them in site of each other for few days.I was told to put the new chicken on the roost after dark.....the therory is that the chickens will think they are part of the flock the next morning.
Anyway, works for me and I have never had any real intigration problems..A little sqwaking, but thats about it.
Roosters are very much different.....................

Back
Top Bottom