Well looks like I got a roo...what now?

Quote:
I am glad.
thumbsup.gif
Raising chickens can be quite enjoyable. Their unique antics and entertaining personalities are fun to watch.
pop.gif
Enjoy, and the best of luck.
D.gif

Another thing I thought might be helpful to insure you end up with a well manored rooster is to be careful on egg collection at first. I can't really tell for sure from your post but it sounds like your pullets have not yet started laying. Here is something to consider with initial layers and young roo's. When your girls start laying for the first time they will be more proud of their eggs than you will if you can imagine that. Being your in Georgia and not having concerns with eggs freezing quickly in nesting boxes like I do here in northern Mn. avoid collecting eggs right away after being laid or especially if the hen is in the box. Even seasoned layers will sometimes let out distinctive distress calls if you collect their egg to quickly and your roo will get instinctively protective when the girl cries out. Chickens are much smarter than some give credit for. When it is really cold here I collect quickly as every 2 hours to avoid frozen / cracked eggs. With this in mind it is not uncommon for me to have to reach under a hen who may be laying at the moment to collect several other eggs under her of just checking. When I do this the 2 young roo's come running all puffed up when the hen squeaks the distress cry. In order to avoid this or in my case lighten the stress I throw the roo's a strawberry or another favorite treat but only after they come running. This has trained mine to not perceive me or anyone collecting eggs from an upset hen as a threat. My primary roo (3 year old) actually calms the other hens down now when I collect eggs from underneath hens in the winter.

I know some here will say I'm crazy but I believe even hens will start to view me as a threat if I'm taking their eggs before they , on their own accord , leave them. More so on pullets. Happy hens put out. Stressed hens don't . Stressed hens make for nervous roosters. It's funny how my wife is the same way. Must be chic thing.:eek:. I think you find having a roo or 2 is awsome. I love hearing mine in the morning. Natures alarm clock.

There a little to young to tell for sure but I would lean towards thinking it's looking like a roo. As far as a breed I'm sure it's a typical TSC barn yard mix. Looks like it has some Maran or distant cream legbar. It will probably look like this photo when older.

They are a little young still, so, it will be difficult to make a solid determination of gender. However, a red comb at an early age can hint at a possibility of a rooster, but some pullets go red early too. I have noticed that young cockrels I have raised get their back(saddle) feathers before the pullets get their back feathers. I didn't see any yet on your chick, so only time will truly tell. As far as breed goes it is definitely one of the red breeds: Road Island Red, Red sex-link, Productions Red or something along those lines. I have been trying for some time to get some more colorful breeds for my flock and keep ending up with red birds. As chicks they can look very similar to other breeds. For now, I would just enjoy watching them grow. You will get a more definite answer to the breed question and gender question as the youngster ages.

Happy Chicken Keeping!

Sorry this picture is so blurry as we were trying to quickly take the picture because he does not like to be held. I think it is now safe to say he is a rooster? His waddles are coming in and crown is triple the size of the hens and red. What do you guys think? He is 4 1/2 weeks old right now

Last edited:
Sorry this picture is so blurry as we were trying to quickly take the picture because he does not like to be held. I think it is now safe to say he is a rooster? His waddles are coming in and crown is triple the size of the hens and red. What do you guys think? He is 4 1/2 weeks old right now

Looks like a roo.

I say you keep him until you find a reason not to. Give the little guy a chance. Maybe his crowing will be out of control,, or he may be super aggressive, but you wont know these things until later on, he might turn out to be a fabulous rooster. At that point you can decide if you want to eat him, or find a new home for him, or keep him. As other posters have said there are benefits to having a rooster be the 'keeper' of your flock.

I say you keep him until you find a reason not to. Give the little guy a chance. Maybe his crowing will be out of control,, or he may be super aggressive, but you wont know these things until later on, he might turn out to be a fabulous rooster. At that point you can decide if you want to eat him, or find a new home for him, or keep him. As other posters have said there are benefits to having a rooster be the 'keeper' of your flock.

Thank you! Yea I have decided to keep him, got pretty attached to the little guy plus the crowing is fine we live in the country on a lot of land. I actually enjoy the sound of crowing. Natures alarm clock.

Back
Top Bottom