Well my chicks arrived today some dead...

Quite honestly, I am SHOCKED that they are shipping so many babies right now. I know many places are way too cold, according to the P.O guidelines and I'm pretty irritated that the babes are being shipped, anyway. The temperature guidelines are there for a reason, for the chicks well being. Shipping them in below freezing weather benefits no one.

What I don't understand is why they are sending chicks in this weather as well...and that sending new born animals by post is considered humane by any standards..AND people on here are continually surprised that they turn up dead?...has anyone ever considered the stress put on these chicks...not to mention the practices that happen at these hatcheries.

but that is just my opinion
hide.gif
smack.gif

I don't know. I have started chicks coming, but I have to wait until the weather is warm enough. I've shipped plenty and received plenty with no problems...following weather guidelines. I do not understand why hatcheries are any different. They shouldn't be. Hatchery chicks die in the cold just the same as any other chicks. Which is why the P.O has that weather rule in place to begin with. It's not to be mean. It's because it's not humane or safe.

Am I impatient to get my silkies? Darn tootin! Am I willing to wait? Yeah...I didn't pay big bucks to get a box of dead silkies.

Just called MM we have an order of day old babies that was supposed to arrive today but they called last week and said that due to the weather they we going to wait and ship them out on the 20th. I was happy with that...but now come to find out they ONLY ship on Sat!!! That's their contract with the airlines..according to the customer service girl I spoke with! That's INSANE to me??? Ideal ships during the week and all of my babies arrived happy and healthy! I DON'T want dead baby chicks!!! This would be AWEFUL!!! I may wait and just order them this spring once the weather warms up! It's NOT worth it to me! Plus when I ordered from ideal(both times) the chicks arrived a day ahead of schedule..so this was way less stress on them as well. Anywho...I'm a little ticked right now too that they would do this KNOWING that they are going to loose alot of babies and they just don't care! OK...THE CRAZY CHICKEN LADY!!!(LOL) is done her rant!!!(LOL) Blessings,Keri

Quote:
I was just ranting to DH about this (who totally doesn't give a fig about chickens) and he agrees that it's totally stupid. Shipping on Saturday automatically adds an extra day to their shipping time. Yes, we move mail on Sundays, but none would get delivered so the babies will have another day before they get to their new homes. I just do not understand it.

Quote:
clap.gif
I 100% agree with you.

To the OP - I hope the survivors continue to do well and can't wait to see some pictures!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I was just ranting to DH about this (who totally doesn't give a fig about chickens) and he agrees that it's totally stupid. Shipping on Saturday automatically adds an extra day to their shipping time. Yes, we move mail on Sundays, but none would get delivered so the babies will have another day before they get to their new homes. I just do not understand it.

I read a post today of someone who got their chicks this last Sunday morning after church. There are POs that will let you know your chicks have arrived on a given Sunday and give you the option of picking them up. I think it just depends on the PO and who's hands they land in first. Chicks are okay for 2-3 days. My babies all arrived from MM on a Monday morning and I lost one at 2 weeks because of a failure to thrive.

I just learned that it is best to give WARM sugar water. NOT cold! It will lower their body temp if they dringk cold. I didn't know that. I would have never even thought about it until I read it this morning. I'm glad I did. I have eggs going to lock down in a few days. I LOVE BYC!!!!!
So sorry about the loss!

Good luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom