Well my lovely neighbors left me something updates and pics pg3

You are so good to take these birds in!

Has anyone moved in yet? If not, you might ask animal control to have a look in their barn and other animal pens for animals that got left behind. Or, if you won't get arrested, have a quick look round yourself.

Thank you for caring for these chickens!

Alright I think I'll try the grab and snatch while they are sleeping. I tried the treat thing and it didnt work. The only way I was able to get them close to take a picture was to throw some bread to them (you can see some on the ground in the 3rd pic) and even then they kept a watchful eye on me and avoided me. And I agree not a bad surprise for me!! But it just makes me sad that they would just leave their animals like this. These birds had to walk quite a ways to get to where they are now and I was honestly shocked that they lived this long!!
You don't know how many were left behind in the first place either. These may just be the last 2 survivors. Hope those people didn't leave anything else behind. Don't understand people sometimes.

When I was a kid, some people abandoned a leased farm. Neighbors finally noticed something fishy when they saw skinny cows. There were all sorts of animals including horses, and dogs locked in a shed that ended up being put down. Another dog was a bit luckier. She had been tied out under a tree and someone had cut her loose. She wandered, was shot in the shoulder by a sheep farmer, and months later wound up at our place, all skin and bones with her shoulder healed crooked. The vet said to put her down, but my mom fed her and fixed her up and she was one of the best dogs we ever had.

I hope you let us know if/when you catch the chickens. They're lucky to have found you. Be sure to check them over real good before you put them in with yours. They look healthy, but don't want to spread lice or disease.

Best wishes!
frow.gif

Update!!!
Ok good news! My bf came over tonight and helped me look for their roosting spot. We went out right after it got dark and we found them near the edge of the road about 10 ft up in a tree. I shook the tree a bit and they flew down. Since it was dark and they were confused from being woken up they were pretty easy to catch with the net I had. So they are now settled in my shed in a cage with some food and water. I looked them over really well first and covered them with some 7 dust before putting them in the shed. They do not like me at all right now tho lol I think I'll keep them in the cage for a week or so before letting them out with the other chickens. And we did check their barn for any other animals because we had the same thought. I didn't find any other critters on the property when we looked a few weeks ago. I'll keep everyone updated on their progress!! Any ideas on names for them?

Glad you caught them so now I can hit the sack and not be worried about them. People abandon babies, so it's nothing for them to dump their livestock.

Update!!!
Ok good news! My bf came over tonight and helped me look for their roosting spot. We went out right after it got dark and we found them near the edge of the road about 10 ft up in a tree. I shook the tree a bit and they flew down. Since it was dark and they were confused from being woken up they were pretty easy to catch with the net I had. So they are now settled in my shed in a cage with some food and water. I looked them over really well first and covered them with some 7 dust before putting them in the shed. They do not like me at all right now tho lol I think I'll keep them in the cage for a week or so before letting them out with the other chickens. And we did check their barn for any other animals because we had the same thought. I didn't find any other critters on the property when we looked a few weeks ago. I'll keep everyone updated on their progress!! Any ideas on names for them?

Congratulations!!! Did you check their house and see if left anymore animals? Keep us updated on the 2 lovely chickens, please!

Name suggestion! Hansel and Gretel, since they were abandoned and lost. But instead of finding a witch's candy house, where they would be eating. But they found a loving home to care for them. :)

Congratulations!!! Did you check their house and see if left anymore animals? Keep us updated on the 2 lovely chickens, please!

Name suggestion! Hansel and Gretel, since they were abandoned and lost. But instead of finding a witch's candy house, where they would be eating. But they found a loving home to care for them. :)

+1. That was my first thought for names too. I guess the TV show " once upon a time" rubbed off on me.

Riki

Back
Top Bottom