Well, she is a rooster...

Welcome! He's very handsome, and if he's polite to humans and the pullet, I'd get more pullets and enjoy having a very cute cockerel.
This is an enabling site, don't expect a lot of advice to shrink your flock! More is good, as long as it's legal where you are, and there's good housing for them.
Mary

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! Enabler here! I absolutely recommend you pick up at least a dozen more pullets. :wee

Oddly, we had the opposite issue. Townline Hatcheries shipped us one extra Ameraucana, and we called it Dude. It was always a little different from all the others--bossier, a little bigger, etc. But it turned out that Dude laid eggs. Cue Aerosmith: Dude was a lady! :ya

My daughter received 2 chicks from a friend in March, bought at TSC. Both sex-link pullets. A Golden comet (Nugget) and a Sapphire Gem (Smokey).
They are both thriving and loving the backyard life.
Smokey surprised us, and is a cockerel.
So, we have 1 of each. They are inseparable.
How do I handle having one pullet for one cockerel?
Can it be done and maintain Nugget's well being?View attachment 1430126
Love that picture! So nice and clear and very cute birds...:thumbsup

That can't be a true Sapphire Gem - somebody messed up somewhere. Sapphire gems are 'black' sex links, just blue in color. A male Sapphire Gem would be barred.

But he's definitely a cockerel. He's just not a Sapphire Gem.

Unfortunately a one to one ratio is unlikely to work well. You'll want to get more pullets or rehome him and get another pullet.

Ugh. Such a hard decision. I have a small coop and run that will fit 4 or 5. I let them free range most of the day. I have read sometimes 3 or 4 pullets. That "perfect ratio" for me just isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom