Well THAT was fun...NOT!

Egg Rookie 2010

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
North Idaho
So I have 26 babies delivered today. About 8 of them have poo getting dry on their butts. So I just finished cleaning them off and putting a dab of olive oil on the vent so sticking woudnt be so bad. I read an old thread and this was the suggestion. I used a warm wet washcloth to clean them up. None too happy. One of them has a spot of wet sad looking naked looking skin about the size of a nickel that I hope the others arent too interested in before she dries. I have one little cuckoo maran Im a little worried about too. Not moving around much and laying kinda funny. Who woulda known Id be all emotionally involved with chickens!?! Anyone else have this pasty butt issue? Is it pretty common? They all seem to like the box and I am amazed how much they have eaten and had to drink in 8 hours.

I had a bunch of bantams that got pasty butt. Took me a few days then I realized DUH they were too warm! I moved the heat lamp up a notch and they were fine. Make sure they have plenty of room to get away from the heat, lots of water and food.

I wonder if that is it? The box is at 90 degrees right now (that is what the back of the invoice said to set it at) and they are spread very evenly throughout the box. Think I should lower the temp some? All appear to be playing around...except one
sad.png

Quote:
This is very common with shipped chicks. You are doing the right thing. It always gets better in a few days. I get GQF Vitamin Plus powder at my local feed store and give them the vitamin water for the first 5 days to give them a good start
wink.png
Have fun with your chicks!
big_smile.png

Quote:
The best way to tell if your brooder is at the right temperature is that your chicks will be running all over and playing and look generally happy.

If its too cold, they'll be huddled up under the light.

If its too hot, they'll be spread out around the outside, probably panting or sprawled out. There won't be ANY directly under the light.

Good luck!

Yes, I just washed one of my chicks' bottoms about a couple of hours ago and I noticed other chicks becoming too interested in the reddened skin. So I put some rooster booster pick no more lotion on it. It really stains (looks like molasses) and they wipe their beaks after contacting it. This saved the lives of a couple of chicks I raised over last summer. They were being bloodied. Watch out for pecking bottoms! Nip it in the bud with some no pick lotion if needed!

My shipped chicks usually have a few (not too many) that get pasty butt. I wash them off under warm running water every day or so. It will kill them if it prevents more poo coming out.

I just went to peek at them again. That red lightbulb in the brooder makes a girl feel blind when you go back into a normally lit room! The 4 cuckoo marans are sleeping together and all the rest are sleeping spread evenly (almost weirdly even) They had been quite rowdy jumping and playing earlier...I swear they visibly grew in 8 hours. I would like to think it is shipping stress.

you can always try a little poly-vi-sol for the little chick having the hardest time
smile.png
that and make sure its eating/drinking...for the 1st week mine get spoiled with eggs scrambled and then i make a "mash" of there chick feed and plain yogurt--now, THATS a riot to watch! They LOVE it!
smile.png
Have fun!

Quote:
Sounds like your chicks are doing just fine! Everything you are describing is normal for shipped and non shipped chicks. Chicks sleep a lot and relax so much when they sleep you would swear they had died!
lol.png
I always keep my heat lamp (I use a ceramic reptile heat lamp because it is safer) at one end of the brooder. That way the chicks can get away from the heat if they get too warm. Relax and have fun with your babies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom