Well that was loud, and unpleasant.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dogfish, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    So I got home tonight and as I'm driving down the driveway I notice my turkeys all bunched up by their main pen. I have over 40 now, so they are hard to miss. That isn't normal. Then, as I get next to my pheasant pens I see the cause, a dog. This is a medium sized dog, trying so hard to get into the pen that it doesn't notice me. I've scared it off twice before, the second time with rifle in hand. I take another look around and see a few dead birds. Strike three.

Fired from inside my truck a .45 ACP is rather loud, even with the pistol outside of the window. Two shots, dog was down. One more shot confirmed it. No collar or identifying marks. Not going to even bother asking the neighbors, as that would probably be more of an issue than needed.

I feel bad for the dog, and the owners, but over the last week I've taken losses of a few turkeys poults and 4 pheasants. Felling a bit sad, but I would understand if someone shot my dog because he was killing their animals.

Bummer.

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

10-4

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think you handled it correctly and at least feel for the dog and the owner, but it is what it is and in the end your protecting your livestock, chin up it'll be fine.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost birds and had to take care of the situation. Loud and Unpleasant sounds about right.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Why can't people keep their dogs home? Now you were forced to kill an animal to protect your stock. Sorry, that stinks. I would have done the same thing. I have lost too many chickens to other people's dogs.

6. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Sorry about your losses, and that you were put in the position to have to kill the dog. Shame on the owners for their irresponsibility. [​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

8. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Irresponsible people shouldn't have animals. It's awful that the owners of the dog put you in that position. Shame on them.

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yeah, unfortunately, the dog was being a dog...the owners should be taken to task for it running loose.
    Dont blame you for not even trying to find out who it belongs to; dont think I would either.
    Sorry you had to deal with something like that because of someone else's inconsideration & carelessness.

10. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Sounds like you wasted two rounds, must not have practiced lately! [​IMG] But right choice you gave him 3 chances

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by