Well, the ladies are going to start paying for their feed!

RM44

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Woodstock, Georgia
My girls have been laying for about 3 months now, and I'm getting 7-9 eggs a day on average from 11 ladies. I'm having a hard time finding enough friends and family to give the eggs away, and also having no luck in getting anyone to buy them for $2.00 per dozen either. It's also becoming a hassle to collect egg cartons since most people saved them for me initially, but now aren't sending any back. I'm almost at the point of having to start buying cartons.

So I put an ad on Craigslist and got a bite from a local bakery. He said he would buy all I had, once a week. He's fairly far away (15 miles or so) and I am only producing around 4-5 dozen on a good week, so I told him I'd charge him $1.00 per dozen (he supplies the cartons). The DH is rather annoyed, saying I'm underpricing them, and after doing some calculations, I'm not sure I'm completely covering the feed bill, but it's close. No margin for inconsistencies though, like someone going broody (already happened twice this year!) or someone getting sour crop and being out of production for a few weeks (happened once this year).

I'm pretty happy with the arrangement though. He will come to me and pick up once a week. He said my eggs were the prettiest he'd ever seen and I don't even have to wash them or refrigerate them since he's from the country and takes pride in using "farm fresh" products and is totally comfortable with my run/coop, my collection and storing on the counter methods. So it's going to be pretty low maintenance for me (no cartons, no taking up room in the 'fridge, etc.) He even wants me to get more chickens and has a "connection" to bring in some NPIP certified Black Copper Marans and Araucanas to add to my flock. We haven't worked out the details, so not sure if he wants me to purchase them, or how much they are, but we're talking about it. He uses 40 dozen eggs per week and has several local suppliers that he wants to use exclusively.

Am I being too generous, or is this a decent deal?

Well, if you're getting more eggs than you can use or give away, and can't find anyone else to buy them for more than $1 a dozen, then go ahead & sell this baker your eggs. Especially since he's coming to pick them up and supply the cartons. I think $1 a dozen is an insultingly low price for home-grown eggs, but it's better than nothing. I think it will put a small dent in the feed bill, nothing more.

But I have to wonder why this guy wants you to add those particular layers to your flock, ones known for laying colored eggs. If he's just using them in his baking it shouldn't matter what color the shells are. Since he's wanting pretty dark brown & green eggs it makes me wonder if he's planning on re-selling these eggs along with his baked goods, instead of just using them as an ingredient in them.

Which would be fine for him to do, but I think it's wrong if he's not being honest with you. There's nothing wrong with someone buying things for a low price & then re-selling them for a higher price, if he can get it. He's also got more overhead, along with more customer traffic. But it's up to you if you choose to do business with someone who may not be dealing straight with you. I'd go visit his bakery, and find out for certain what his plans are for the eggs he's buying from you.

And be especially cautious before adding/buying more hens to supply him with $1-dozen eggs. Check your math carefully, if it's going to cost you more than that to produce them it won't be worth it.

I think $1 a dozen is an insultingly low price for home-grown eggs

WOW, you can't even buy eggs at the grocery store for that around here. No wonder the baker is so excited.

Agreed, find out what your price is. No use subsidizing his business. Details are important. If it's a situation that can be fair for both of you, go forward!​

Thanks for the replies. I did go back and calculate the feed bill. The girls go through about a 50# bag of feed every 2 weeks, and at $13 ber bag, I would not be covering their bill selling 4-5 dozen a week at $1.00 per dozen. Also, my husband just wouldn't lay off my case about it. So I called my baker back today after he had a chance to use the eggs yesterday, and discussed with him $1.50/dozen. He said that $1.50 was fair That was what I posted them for originally on Craigslist, and it was my idea to offer them for less, not his, since he was buying them all. I thought $1.00 was good since it was less hassle for me to move them all at one time, but he is willing to pay $1.50 so we're all good now!

I appreciate the replies; thanks for helping me figure this out and reach a good deal for both of us. If I sell 4 dozen a week at $1.50, then I'd collect $6 per week, or $12, which is close to covering their food bill and leaves me with 1-2 dozen a week for myself. I am very happy with this arrangement and I love getting the compliments from the baker about my eggs. He was quite pleased and I am too, and I don't have to worry about waxing and waning of customers/eggs. The baker is willing to take as many, or as few as I provide each week as he has several suppliers plus the farmer's market if his suppliers are running low.

Back
Top Bottom