Well this takes the cake.

Alrighty, netted and caged, and NOT happy. Ill get better pictures tomorrow along with wings clipped etc etc. Its 9 pm here don't want a screaming chicken this late at night.

aaron

Maybe it's bird that someone dropped at your coop because they could not keep it and they saw your flock hoping it would get a good home. Sure hope it's healthy.
This happens to my neighbors all the time, people just leave animals over there like it’s cool. Thank God they take excellent care of every little animal they have.

Alrighty, netted and caged, and NOT happy. Ill get better pictures tomorrow along with wings clipped etc etc. Its 9 pm here don't want a screaming chicken this late at night.

aaron
My guess would be that she is just being really noisy because she is lost and confused, which means she has to be on guard and sharply aware of her surroundings at all times. Alarmed chickens = loud, flighty chickens.

If you don't find her owners and do decide to keep her, I'd think that over time she would quiet down and settle in, at least to a certain extent. Some chickens will always be on the flighty and/or "talkative" side, but if you are patient and slow with her, and keep interactions with her positive (as much as you can), hopefully she will turn around. Quarantine her for a couple of weeks to make sure she doesn't pass any diseases or parasites to your flock.

Best of luck with the Wandering Chicken! I am interested to see how she does. :)

Quarantine her for a couple of weeks to make sure she doesn't pass any diseases or parasites to your flock.

Would be too late for biological quarantine if she's already been hanging around.

But my best guess is if no one in the neighborhood is looking for missing birds, then someone came by and ditched her, whether in your yard or somewhere else (and then she walked/flew into your yard).

Walked out into my coop one day and found this

Y8QGX3O.jpg

Got in the hardware cloth uncovered upper part of my chain link run (it has a tin roof) he crawled through the holes, stayed one day and one night with the girls (pre rooster), got his belly full of food and water, then got back out. Woulda been a hen she was going in that brooder cage you see in the picture. He did hang around the yard for a day or two. I fed him while he was outside.

Like to think he was one of the grandkids of the ones that got loose when I raised them many moons ago. Kinda got me thinking of getting more now.

Last edited:
Ok, she looks in pretty good health. Comb is a bit pale, which tells me she's probably a bit wormy, Ive seen this with my others. 3 or 4 days of feeding pellets dusted with DE and this situation cleared up in a few weeks tops. So DE for all of them really, yep it's been a few months since last time.

Noob is in a cage, I have a plastic lid off a 5 gallon bucket I feed them on when they are free ranging. I do this so that the dust and stuff gets caught in the sides of the lid, and I can eventually spill it all into a 6 qt container, mix with a little bit of water and make cakes out of it, so all that dust, which Id say is probably 2 or 3 lbs by the time you get done with a 40 or 50 lb sack of feed does not just get wasted, it ALL gets fed to them. I have the bucket lid set up so that half of it is outside her cage, half is inside, so when they ALL eat, they are ALL right there with each other pecking at food and talking to each other.

RIght now, the RIR who's just a bitch, is picking on the new one, trying to peck at her thru the cage, so RIR is going to get locked up for a week probably, I have had to do that with her when I intro'd the new ones about a year ago, let the rest of the 'nice' flock get used to each other and happy, then let the bitch back out, where she is kind of the new one, and Ive found that tends to cut down on the really mean picking a lot. As it is, Fluffy is talking to her thru the cage, and sitting there in the dust with her, both on their sides of the fencing, and midnight is talking too so I don't think therre will be any real issues, except for Big Red of course! Right now the goal of caging is to get her settled down, used to her new surroundings, new family and NOT in I wanna fly the fence so much. Should only take a week or so I am hoping. Ill give her a day or two of seeing me petting and ruffling and snacking the original flock as well so she sees im not that mean evil thing she thinks I am. Hopefully that helps settle her down too.

I got a picture of her closer up, she's got like this little fluffy face and like beard / moustache thingie going on, she's pretty cute, I really do hope it turns out well and I end up keeping her.

Attachments

• GreyLady.jpg
    GreyLady.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 20
So I kept her in her separate cage for 4 days. The other chickens hung around, she seems to have calmed down a LOT but is still very aloof, does NOT seem to like people. Im hoping with time we might cure that a bit. She is now with the rest of the flock, is getting henpecked, the one tried to get nasty so I swatted her and threw HER in the cage for a day and a half, reintroduced her into the rest of them and now it's just the normal nitpicking, although it seems like this one is going to be down at the end of the pecking order. She won't really hang out with the original 4, she like hangs out on the sidelines watching them, like she wants to, but, im thinking the pecking order thing still is going on and the ok, we beat you enough, welcome to the flock has not fully happened yet. She DOES sleep with them though in the coop. WHen I do close them up for a day like when the lawn guy comes or something she will stay inside away from the others, not in terror but just isolated and she won't eat until the rest of them have and walked away from the food.
When I come out for trreats, all i have to do is tick tick and they come running from wherever, well actually that's not quite accurate, all they need is to hear me open the can that holds the treats and they come running :p she does not run with the flock though, she seems to want to be on her own.
We'll see how it all plays out in a few more weeks.
No eggs yet though so maybe she is not old enough, and while I am not familiar with her breed, she did not seem to have that 'baby face' of a younger one and I would have thought was laying already. Oh well.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom