1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, Tickle My Feathers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chick-a- doodle, Nov 6, 2015.

1. chick-a- doodle

chick-a- doodle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I'm new to this forum and to chickens, but, I grew up on a typical middle TN family farm. My dad raised pigs and cows, had goats and sheep, grew corn and tobacco, and, of course, a large garden for his family. In other words, I'm a farm girl! My daddy called me Doodle ever since I can remember. I don't know why-maybe I should ask him. Anyway, back to my story...A few months ago, I saw a tv show which talked of store bought vs free range chicken (as meat), which touched a passion in me to start raising my own chickens. [I try to eat healthy and exercise, run 5K races as a hobby with my hubby.] Healthwise, it seemed logical for me to start with egg layers. After all, we eat eggs every day and I have six grandboys nearby...so, eggs are always needed! I consumed much information about chicken coops, chicken tractors and chickens. I am happily OCD [ObessiveChickenDisorder?] I designed a good "starter" tractor, bought supplies, and pullets [3 RIR, 3 White Leghorns, 2 Barred Rocks] from 3 different sources, and my flock is off to a good start. I can't tell you how many times I have read on this forum for wisdom and I appreciate it so much! So, today, I joined BYC. Maybe one day I can contribute something helpful to a newbie, but, I expect I will be lurking for a long while or asking newbie questions! Oh, also, I ordered 1000 mealworms (again, reading a lot about it) and have prepared to receive them in a few days. Again, it seems logical to grow mealworms for my girls. Boy, are they gonna love me!

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    We

Welcome to byc. . Sounds like your off to a great start..

3. chick-a- doodle

Nov 6, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I would also like to say my profile picture is of a 5 foot tall bird I made, a wearable costume / puppet. I make these of various sizes and animals for a theatre group I direct. I have made many birds of this type!

4. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I like the costume you made, makes a cute avatar!

You have good egg layers in your mixed flock, that should help with all the grandkids. Have you checked out the Learning Center here on BYC? It's full of good articles that will help you along the way.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you need help, always feel free to ask.

[​IMG]

Just consider us your support group!

8. chick-a- doodle

Nov 6, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Thank you for the Welcomes!

Yes, NorthFLChick, I have visited the Learning Center numerous times and I'm sure to be there more since I have so much to learn! I can say BYC provided me with the information I needed to choose the breeds I did.

I appreciate all the support I can get!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice avatar - would be nice if "Sesame Street " would sign him (?) up - Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by