Well, we blew it - We are on Day 23 of Duck Incubation and the Air Sack is Day 14

Pics

DuckMagistra

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
Well, we blew it - We are on Day 23 of Duck Incubation and the Air Sack is barely Day 14. We added too much moisture throughout the process.

We have opened all the vents and are not adding water at this point, but I know we will need to add moisture once we get to day 25. Any ideas how to help them draw down at this last minute? Should I increase the temperature or add rice? Should I delay the lockdown?

So mad at myself. We have done this before and had 15/15 hatch with a humidity gauge; however, our gauge broke so we went "by gut" this time.

Would a photo help? These are white Pekins.

If we do not see any internal piping by Day 25, what do we do?

Andrea

Hi, I'm new to incubation so I really can't offer any advice but just wanted to say I hope it goes well. I had a really helpful lady offer me advice on an issue. I'll try and find her name and see if I can tag her (also new to the website) x

Well, we blew it - We are on Day 23 of Duck Incubation and the Air Sack is barely Day 14. We added too much moisture throughout the process.

We have opened all the vents and are not adding water at this point, but I know we will need to add moisture once we get to day 25. Any ideas how to help them draw down at this last minute? Should I increase the temperature or add rice? Should I delay the lockdown?

So mad at myself. We have done this before and had 15/15 hatch with a humidity gauge; however, our gauge broke so we went "by gut" this time.

Would a photo help? These are white Pekins.

If we do not see any internal piping by Day 25, what do we do?

Andrea
@HeatherKellyB Could you help at all? X

Are you still seeing movement in the egg? This late in the hatch it may be difficult to see much, but leaving the egg on its side and shining a bright light into and right up against the air cell might show movement. I wouldn't mess with it too much at this point. Three days isn't enough to make a significant difference in air cell size, but I wouldn't give up on the egg this early, this far into incubation. You might not see an internal pip until Day 26 or possibly later depending on incubation temps. Since you feel like the air cell isn't correct, if I were you, I wouldn't raise humidity until I noticed a pip, but you'll need to keep a close check on things at all times. I usually check at least 3 times a day. I wouldn't move the egg around too much at this point in case the duckling is preparing to hatch. You don't want to disorient the duckling by moving the egg around. Also, try to not beat yourself up too much 💜

Today is Day 23. These are White Pekings. Here are two photos of 1 egg. Very small air pocket, right? Some have less of a pocket than this. Most have slightly more. We did have quite an improvement in the air pocket in some of them in just a day. I can see the angle (is that called drawing down) and although it is not anywhere near what it should be, it gives me hope.

Here is my plan and I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I am going astray:
Day 28 is this Thursday.
So the plan is:
1. Keep all the air vents open until Monday night (Day 25). Add no water. Let it continue to dry out more since the air pockets are still too small.
2. Close the air vents down on Monday night. Remove the turning elements and put the eggs on the floor of the incubator. Spray the eggs with water. Add some water to the bottom of the tray.
3. Check for internal piping. If I see it, mark the egg and watch it for 24 hours. If there is no progress after 24 hours, put an emergency air hole in the air sac side.
4. Repeat x 17.
The temperature is 37.5 degrees C. Should I keep that or lower it during the lockdown?

I'm just sick at the thought of 17 ducklings drowning in their shells as my 8 year old and I watch.

Andrea
@HollowOfWisps @HeatherKellyB

Attachments

• 20220528_222231.jpg
    20220528_222231.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220528_222235.jpg
    20220528_222235.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 8
Are you still seeing movement in the egg? This late in the hatch it may be difficult to see much, but leaving the egg on its side and shining a bright light into and right up against the air cell might show movement. I wouldn't mess with it too much at this point. Three days isn't enough to make a significant difference in air cell size, but I wouldn't give up on the egg this early, this far into incubation. You might not see an internal pip until Day 26 or possibly later depending on incubation temps. Since you feel like the air cell isn't correct, if I were you, I wouldn't raise humidity until I noticed a pip, but you'll need to keep a close check on things at all times. I usually check at least 3 times a day. I wouldn't move the egg around too much at this point in case the duckling is preparing to hatch. You don't want to disorient the duckling by moving the egg around. Also, try to not beat yourself up too much 💜
Since there are 17 of them, do I increase the humidity with the first internal pip or wait until more have pipped?

Today is Day 23. These are White Pekings. Here are two photos of 1 egg. Very small air pocket, right? Some have less of a pocket than this. Most have slightly more. We did have quite an improvement in the air pocket in some of them in just a day. I can see the angle (is that called drawing down) and although it is not anywhere near what it should be, it gives me hope.

Here is my plan and I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I am going astray:
Day 28 is this Thursday.
So the plan is:
1. Keep all the air vents open until Monday night (Day 25). Add no water. Let it continue to dry out more since the air pockets are still too small.
2. Close the air vents down on Monday night. Remove the turning elements and put the eggs on the floor of the incubator. Spray the eggs with water. Add some water to the bottom of the tray.
3. Check for internal piping. If I see it, mark the egg and watch it for 24 hours. If there is no progress after 24 hours, put an emergency air hole in the air sac side.
4. Repeat x 17.
The temperature is 37.5 degrees C. Should I keep that or lower it during the lockdown?

I'm just sick at the thought of 17 ducklings drowning in their shells as my 8 year old and I watch.

Andrea
@HollowOfWisps @HeatherKellyB
@DuckyDonna
@WVduckchick
@New duck mommy 2021

The first picture doesn't look terrible to me. Yes draw down will make the air cell appear larger. As for your plan, I would keep the vents open. I always have all vents open on my incubator during hatching. I would remove the turner now. You can continue to mist the eggs until you have external pips and at this point, misting is still ok as long as you don't get water in the pip. Do you have another way to keep a check on humidity? I think the rest of your plan sounds good. I don't increase humidity until I see pips. Let me find the best article I always refer to. I'll be back with it 😊

Back
Top Bottom